Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking at Everyone

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jujube87, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Jujube87

Jujube87 PetForums Newbie

My 10 month old puppy barks at everyone she doesn’t know. She is okay with me, my mother, mother in law and my husband, for the most part, but she barks at everyone who comes near her. Even if my husband comes to bed after we do, she’ll bark at him like she doesn’t know who he is. She’s been barking at my sister in law and her boyfriend even though she’ll sleep with them at night and nap on them during the day and she seems to be okay with them when they are sitting. We recently moved into a new place that is much bigger than our old one and we have an extra person living with us. Just before we moved she was spayed. She was fine for the first month or so of us living her but then all of a sudden she started barking at any noise in the hallway, she never did this in the old place even though there were more noises. Then she started barking at people in the hallway, the elevator and on the street even though she goes up to these people, while barking, to smell them and he tail is wagging. Before this she loved all dogs and people and wanted to be greeted by everyone. Then she started barking at my husband when he came to bed. The barks are very short and rapid. We thought she might be territorial of me but now we aren’t sure. We are working on the quiet command with treats and that works sometimes. We set up her crate so if she’s stressed she has somewhere to go but we just don’t know what to do. We hope it’s a phase but I don’t want this behavior to get anymore out of hand than it already has. We are talking her into the vet next month. Any suggestions?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Look at Kikopup and positively.com for some tips on training this out.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. talui

talui PetForums Junior

I got a squirt gun for this which worked perfect. I thought it would negatively reinforce that it was bad without hurting her. Turns out my dog loves squirt guns! All we have to say bow is water pistol and she gets excited and stops barking. She chases the water and eats the water out of the top. And no more barking!

4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I would not recommend using a squirt gun for a dog who sounds anxious. If the dog dislikes the squirt gun then this could make the problem a whole lot worse.

JoanneF, Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

From what you describe I would guess that your dog is either barking out of fear/anxiety or possibly out of excitement/frustration if she can't get to the person she is barking at. Barking at people who move in the house or when your husband comes to bed after you could potentially be resource guarding, but it's not easy to tell just from your post.

Does she sleep on your bed? If so then having her sleep in a crate by your bed may be a better option, again depending on why she is barking.

Work on distraction techniques - tasty treats, favourite toy etc. so that when you are out and about you can pull these out to divert attention away from other people. Show her that you will take care of any situation when she is afraid - something you could try when out walking and someone is coming towards you is change direction away from the person. This will show her that you recognise that she does not wish to get close to the person and you are listening to her. As time goes on she will trust you and should be able to get closer to people without getting anxious.

If she is barking out of frustration because she wants to say hello to everyone then it's best to teach her to ignore strangers - again distraction techniques here and getting her to focus on you.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice