Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

1. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

Hiya

Can anyone please point me in the direction of any good BARF websites that will explain to me in simplemans terms what this diet consists of, and what a weekly plan would be like?

Im looking to change my 2 slowy but need so much more info. Ive googled it but am getting more baffled!!

2. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Hi there, forgive me if you already know the difference, but do you mean a raw diet in general or specifically BARF?

There are a couple of different versions of raw feeding that people follow - a prey-model consisting of raw meaty bones, offal (plus eggs and oily fish) OR BARF which is as above with the main difference being the addition of veggies as a main part of their diet (plus usually other supplements etc).

This site explains the difference between the two main methods:
    Why Prey-Model and Not BARF?

Here are some really useful articles for switching over and what to feed:
    Switching to a Raw Diet
    Practical Answers to Practical Questions About Raw

And this explains some of the common myths around raw feeding:
    The Many Myths of Raw Feeding

Tom Lonsdales books "Raw Meaty Bones: Promote Health" and his newer book "Raw Meaty Bones: Work Wonders" are both excellent to give you a starting point for what to feed.

Some brilliant resources in my signature too.

I feed maggie the following:

2-3% of expected or actual adult body weight daily. (2% for less active, 3% for most active - somewhere in between for most others)
    Consisting of - 80% meat; 10% bone (within some of that meat); 5% liver; 5% other offal (note that heart is a muscle sp for the purposes of the % it counts as meat, not offal)
    Feed appropriately sized pieces for the size of your dog - the bigger the better to reduce any possible risk of choking/swalling down whole.
    Start with one meat source and gradually introduce others as they become comfortable with one.
    Dont worry about sticking to exact proportions - as long as they get everything needed in a rough balance over time, it will be fine.

Typical day might be:

chicken or rabbit quarter AM
    slab of pork/lamb ribs and an egg broken over the top (shell and all) PM

OR

chunk of pork shoulder AM
    beef steak (use ones for casserole as cheaper) PM

etc etc - anything goes :)

#2 katiefranke, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

Thank you so much.

Its the Barf i've been reading up on as this has been reccomended. But really I just want to do whats best for them.

Lucy is aprox 10 and Noodles aprox 3yrs. Is 10 yrs to old to change her diet so completeley? They are on Arden Grange atm.

4. katiefranke

Well I think that whether it is BARF or prey-model, either in my personal opinion are better than commerical food.

I don't think it is ever too old, however, I would suggest being very careful about how you introduce everything, doing one protein at a time, and introducing offal very carefully once they are settled on the rest as offal can cause upset tums. do be careful you dont give too much bone as this can cause constipation and impaction in the extreme cases.

it may be a slow change over if your oldie has been used to commerical food for so many years - and you may need to even sear the meat slightly so they understand it is food. you may also find, dependant on the condition of their gums and teeth that they find it a little difficult to crunch on the bones initially, but start with soft bones like chicken and rabbit and young pork ribs and work up to harder bones and you should be fine.

There is also a website/online forum/list called BritBarfUK (if i remember correctly) which is full of useful info too.

5. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

Thank you :)

Would you reccomened that I just go straight onto feeding raw, not mix with the food they are on now for a wk or so?

One more (last I promise!) Noodle has a severe undershot jaw, will she be able to manage this diet? She has no problems with chews and biscuits etc?

6. katiefranke

Personally I would always change straight over to raw 'cold turkey' so to speak, as it is different to just transitioning between one commerical food and another.

However, if you would feel better about it or want to give it a trial first, then you could feed one meal current food, one meal raw for a week until you feel your dogs are used to it. I would not mix them personally, as the raw food needs a higher level of acidity to be built up in the digestive tract to digest the food properly and a commerical food with grains reduces the acidity levels...by separating them somewhat it should help.

Re the jaw, I wouldn't think this will cause a major problem, if Noodle can eat chews and biscuits then she should be able to crunch bones as they tend to use the back teeth mainly anyway. They do have to get used to the action of chewing in this way so you might find the first few meals are slightly awkward, but then again some dogs take to it suprisingly swiftly despite being on a commerical food for many years.

Good luck and ask away with any more questions! :)

7. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

Well.....Lucy just demolished a chicken leg, I shouldnt be suprised really as she eats decomposed rabbits bleaghhh.

Noodle completley turned her nose up at the chicken wing though, do u think its worth slightly searing it first? Is it right that they can eat meat straight from the freezer? I think I am gonna have a struggle with Noodle. Do you think maybe I should start with Mince?

You are going to get sick of me!

Gina

8. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

I have a OES that will only eat mince and the occasional bone so all he ever eats is DAF mince and offal with the odd chicken wing thrown in.My other OES will eat whole chickens and rabbits with no problem.

Each dog is different and all have their own funny habits.

Dogs can eat straight from the freezer although i have never done it myself. as for the searing as long as the bone doesn't get heated it should be ok.

9. katiefranke

hey gina, thats great to hear about Lucy!! :) younger dogs often pick it up quicker :)

For noodle I would suggest removing the skin and I would make sure it is room temperature too next time, as i found initally the skin seems to hide the meat a bit too much so they dont know it is food - you could also score it slightly to expose the insides of the meat. Also letting it warm up to room temp makes it smell more. If this still doesnt work then you could rub a little cheese or wet dog meat on top - or sear it very lightly (literally get a very hot pan and stick it on for a few seconds on each side and off again).

Give this a go before going to mince. The problem with mince is that whilst healthy still, it wont give any of the benefits of whole raw food, as there is no chomping/crunching - so the gums do not get cleaned and massaged and the teeth do not get a work-out...which to be honest is one of the major benefits of feeding raw in the first place. Mince is fine as part of their diet, but I wouldnt feed it as the main part if you dont have to.

Oh and yes they can eat meat from the freezer, but I would leave that til you have been raw feeding for a while and they are used to it, as they probably wouldnt know what to do with it at the mo! I have fed maggie frozen before once when I hadnt defrosted anything and once when it was really warm and she seemed to enjoy it being nice and cold :)

10. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

Thank you. I shall get some mince for Noodle tomorrow

11. katiefranke

sorry think we posted at same time :) see above post for reply to your last question! good luck :thumbup:

12. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

I changed Bo over a couple of months ago and did a straight change after trying her with a chicken wing and she gulped it down. I feed the puppy pouched from Natural Instinct as like you it's a bit confusing to start out with but am more between Barf and Raw now. I am beginning to feed my own version of meals more and more often now. Good luck with the changeover, I don't think you'll regret it.

13. bigbill

bigbill PetForums Newbie

i bought from raw to go this weekend and am very pleased with their products. found the link on here so thank you to that poster.

14. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

Thanks Kate. Lucy enjoyed a leg again for Brekkie. Noodle just had her normal food. I shall try your tips at tea time.

Thanks for everyones advice. This is a great site :thumbup:

15. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

Hi let me know how you get on with the new diet(well not YOU but your dogs lol), im considering putting Izzy on it but feel a bit overwhelmed:eek:

16. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

I must admit I was which is why I came on here for help!! So far so good with Lucy :thumbup: So far not so good with Noodles :rolleyes: I shall continue to feed it though will try kates tips later.

17. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

I will let Leslie know you are pleased with her shop:)

18. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

Lucy my old girl is loving and thriving this raw diet, and her poo's have shrunk! She jumped over a style yesterday she hasnt done that for years!

Noodle wont touch it though. Warmed it up, took skin off, rubbed it with cheese, pulled a bit off to show her what to do, nope she just went and stood by the feed bin :/ Would it be worth trying her with ready made mixes?

Gina

19. lesleyo

lesleyo PetForums Newbie

hello,
    i'm lesley of raw to go, thank you for your comments. look forward to seeing you again.

the response has been very good, i am constantly amazed by the power of the forums.

i'm glad you're having such a good experience with BARF, it certainly changed my dog's life.

20. katiefranke

could do i guess...she may find the minced stuff a bit more appetising to begin with and then once she is eating this you could get her onto something more whole...

otherwise could you smear some dog food (canned/wet) onto the meat? Or try something other than chicken? perhaps pork? what does she eat normally? could you grind up some dog biscuits and rub this into the meat? or start with slightly smaller chunks of meat? :confused:

ps: yep the smaller, less frequent and firmer poops are def one of the benefits for us humans!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice