Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

BARF Diet

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PaulRyan, Jan 11, 2012.

1. PaulRyan

PaulRyan PetForums Member

I'm trying to convince my dad to change Storms diet and have been since we got her, I look after her weekdays because he used to only work weekends but the company went bust so he had to work weekdays instead. I live next door so she comes in with me and I do everything for her mon-fri. I finally got through to him that Waggs is crap (no offence meant to anybody using Waggs) and the Pro's of the Barf diet.
    Now he's one of the converted I need to do some research! I'll freely admit I'm a 100% newbie to BARF, so I thought I'd ask you guys a few questions :D
    Does anybody know a Reputable BARF online supplier to the South West? (I think there was a thread somewhere listing loads but would like one that someone can reccomend from personal experience)
    Best meats to start with?
    Cost monthly for a Siberian Husky? (I guess it depends on which meat but on average)
    Also and this is the one I have trouble wrapping my head around, How do I work out the how much to give per serving?
    Also anything that might be important that's not asked

Thanks, Sorry for being a pain with all the questions :D

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Have a read through the sticky at the top ^^

I can also send you my raw guide, which a few people have made use of, it's geared towards Lab sized dogs, so you should be able to roughly translate it for your pup.

As well as checking out suppliers, check out the local butchers, it can work out cheaper. Also sort out storage space, and in the meantime, start giving your dog chicken, either wings or carcass, avoid the legs until they know to chew thoroughly and/or their digestive system has geared up to cope with raw bones instead of kibble.

If they're ok with chicken as a replacement meal three or four times a week, then I'd suggest after a couple of weeks swap them over onto a chicken and green tripe based diet. Try not to get excited and rush things, as that's when you tend to get sickness and diarrhoea with a dog new to raw. Once they're ok on chicken and green tripe, then start introducing new proteins one by one, until you know they're ok with them.

You sort of get a feel for raw, it's easier to swap younger dogs and pups over than oldies, but it's worth taking your time. Just occasionally it really doesn't suit a dog, and it's no consolation if your dog is one of those, and you jump in at the deep end :eek:

If you want my guide, just email me at joanne@tarimoorart.co.uk

PaulRyan likes this.
  3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Hmm I assume you know that BARF includes veg and fruit as opposed to prey model raw which is just raw meat?

All I can suggest is to read all the stickies on raw feeding as well as other information you can find.

4. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

Your best bet is to look at the stickys about raw feeding (have a look in the health section!) Theres also a thread called "Whats in the bowl today!?" its very useful and you can see what the meals look like.
    I think chicken is the best meat to start off with, Sleeping_Lion has a very good BARF feeding guide which she will be happy to send to you (Ive just printed mine off now that i have a printer) :D
    Dont rush with different meats, it can upset the stomach, try one thing at a time :) Blue has been on raw for over a week now, shes been on chicken and tonight was the first time shes had fish! The ideal serving is 2-3% of their ideal body weight, which isnt a lot come to think of it!
    Good luck, you'll soon get the hang of it and there are plenty of people on here to help :)

ALSO Butchers are a great place to go especially chicken carcasses! Last week i got 10kg for 70p :) I got some more today for £1 but i havent weighed it yet

5. PaulRyan

I just emailed you about the raw guide which would be a great help, I did look for a pinned thread regarding raw but totally overlooked it:p Thanks.

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

7. PaulRyan

Thanks everyone, especially Lions that feeding guide looks amazing and makes everything so much easier to get my head around, I'm going to give those threads and links a good look over until I understand and then top it off with a bit more research! :D

8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Your dog can now join the rest of our lucky barfers! :thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice