Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Banging head against brick wall

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by dvnbiker, Oct 26, 2011.

1. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

First time I have posted in the cat section but hoping somewhere out there can help.

Have two elderly cats, one female speyed 12 years old and a 15 year old neutered male. we have managed to swop the boy over to raw feeding and he is loving it, rmbs and all.

My issue is my girlie, Kerry. She suffers from gingovitis (not sure how you spell it), she had an op last year to sort it out and whilst it is coming back so far not too bad. Someone has said use plaque off in food as that will help. Anyone had any experience of it? I have used it with dogs but didnt know if it is any good for cats.

Also she wont entertain raw at all, I have tried mixing it in with wet food, hiding it in dry food, you name it I have dried it. She just starves herself. So the next best thing is to get her on a decent wet food - now I know there are loads on zooplus but I cant afford to order the amounts for her to turn her nose up so really looking at something I can get at say PAH etc. Anybody have any recommendations?

Ingredients wise Hi-Life, natures menu and PAH own Purely range look pretty good but perhaps if someone can give me their own experiences I would be grateful. :thumbup:

2. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Hey and welcome to the chat part of the forum. I personally dont have any experience with those brands you have named but I know they have been mentioned as being reasonably good foods, also Toplife food from Asda is meant to be good.

I hope you find something she will eat and is happy with and her health problems stay mild xxxx

3. malibu

malibu Guest

I've used both hi life and natures menu and they are both really good foods x

4. AnimatedApe

AnimatedApe PetForums Member

Although we feed Bozita, Animonda and Grau nowadays, HiLife is a great food in my opinion and if not for cost we would probably still feed it. However, at the time our older cat used to get Gingivitis and we found that removing certain food from her diet resolved the issue.

The food that we suspect was the problem was anything that had the consistency of flaked meat IE Applaws, HiLife Perfection even tuna. We still feed Applaws as an occasional treat and have no problems, but if you are already battling with bouts of Gingivitis then I would avoid these foods. However, the normal HiLife and HiLife 'Potty about...' range was fine for our cat.

I should also add that we have had no bouts of Gingivitis since feeding her current diet.

As for Natures Menu, I think that HiLife is better for cheaper, but it is still a good food.

5. K337

K337 PetForums VIP

I've been using Plaque off for my two 19 month old Ocicats and it hasn't made any difference for us :( They eat a fairly good diet (Bozita, Animonda, Grau, Smilla) but we are looking at more raw as our solution.

6. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

thank you everyone.

If I could get her onto raw I would but she is having none of it, typical woman LOL

Think I will try the hi-life and maybe order some better stuff from zooplus later on to see if I can get her onto something better again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice