Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bandit died this morning :S

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Akai-Chan, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I'm really confused... one of the baby rats I purchased a coupel of weeks ago was dead on the floor of her cage this morning. I am very upset by this especially as she is so young. I have no idea what may have caused it as the vet gave her and her sister Emmy a clean bill of health just 4 days ago. It now worries me in case it's a virus that they've bought from the breeder I got them from or if it's something genetic and Emmy might be affected.

Yesterday she was eating fine, was a good weight, didn't have any sticky thrugh bones. She was slightly slower than normal and a bit lethargic but I thought that if it was anything major then I would see the vets in the morning.

I have now separated Emmy and am keeping a very close eye on her. She is eating fine and is playing normally. I really hope it isn't something genetic. I don't want to lose another baby, even if she isn't mine :(

I have informed the breeder also just to notify him and see if it has happened with any other rat from the litter.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

2. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Sometimes young animals just pass away with apparently no reason, it's happened to me of course. So sorry about Bandit. I really hope it's not a virus...

3. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Oh no.. poor baby :( RIP little one
    So sorry to hear that *hugs*

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Keep a good eye on her, there is a very nasty virus, SDA, doing the rounds at the moment. All rat shows are cancelled because of it. It's extremely rare for baby rats to die suddenly, in over 10 years of breeding and many litters I never had it happen once.

If the breeder is conscientious he will contact all the other purchasers and not allow any more rats out of the rattery for the forseeable future as a precaution.

You would also be wise to keep away from other people's rats for a few weeks as the virus can be carried on clothing. I do hope it's nothing as serious as SDA but err on the side of caution until you know more. The NFRS forum has a great deal of advice about this and other viruses and causes of death in baby rats.

Edited to add: how long have you had the babies? The incubation period for most viruses is 10-14 days. Could you have picked up a virus from elsewhere since you have had them?
    Genetic issues causing deaths in baby rats are extremely rare, thankfully, though there is a notable one which affects some rats with certain white markings. However the breeder and you would have noticed symptoms and loss of weight before now and the problem is not common in the UK.

You may find this article about SDA from the NFRS website useful: SDAV

#4 MerlinsMum, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  5. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

im really sorry about your loss akai-chan, its weired because the little guy died this morning too but it was in my hands and its broke my heart. miss him already ! :crying:

guess they will see eachother up there and tell there short stories of their lives :eek:

6. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Sorry for your loss :( xxx

7. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this.

8. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry for your loss :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice