Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ballantrae - dog walks / things to do

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dogless, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

As the title says really; I am going on a short holiday (4 nights) to Ballantrae the week after next with Kilo and am looking for any recommended walks or doggy things to do. (Hubby was coming, but found out he has to work now, so we are on our own :().

2. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

ermm...come to Fife? good enough suggestion :D:D where is that is sounds scottish :p

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Near Stranraer...miles from you :(

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sorry don't know the area at all - but this might be useful for working out walks in the area
    Find a route - OS Explore

Have a good holiday.

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Thank you; will buy an OS map when I get there too :).

6. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

lol i know i googled it after posting...owell maybe next time :p

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Just a quick bump as we go tomorrow in case anyone has any ideas!!

The lady I am letting the cottage off was lovely and has left a welcome pack which sounds good but 'dog' recommendations would be useful too :).

8. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

It depends how far you are willing to travel really. I stay at the other side of Dumfries and Galloway so am not that up on the Straraer/Ayrshire side (I assume it is this one if it is near Stranraer). That being side there are loads of walks in the Galloway Forrest Park area and Ayr has a lovely beech (not sure about dog walking around that way though).

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Thanks..it is a village by the sea; looks lovely and is on the coastal path so will be great for that. Also has a river running through the garden of the cottage.

Will look at the Galloway Forest on t'interweb.

Am also wondering about pubs etc - hopefully will be a little in the welcome pack. We are going on our own as hubby has to work so would be nice to find a sociable place to eat lunch etc!

10. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Galloway forest park is great for walks,also there is the Southern Upland way a long distance path that runs from Portpatrick right through Dumfries & Galloway,you could do a section or two.;)

If you are into hill walking there is the Merrick nearby which is the highest hill in the area.

Newton Stewart & Glentrool are lovely places in Galloway forest park.

Portpatrick is a lovely little place.

Can't think of anything else at the moment,but if you go to the tourist info in Stranraer they will have plenty of leaflets on good places to walk.

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Thank you; I love long distance and hill walking, but Kilo is 6 months old so am a bit limited this time round in terms of distance -some great ideas for me to have a quick Google tonight though :).

12. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

If you have a car,a trip down to the mull of galloway is well worth it,right to the end to the lighthouse,there are some lovely views there and lots of cliffs with seabirds.

The whole Dumfries & Galloway coast is lovely,very quiet most people just head north and bypass us :mad:Dumfries & Galloway is Scotlands biggest secret.:D

I love it and I'm from the lake district.

13. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

There are walks in the Stincher valley There's info here Walks

There is also the grounds of Culzean Castle. If you go to Culzean, don't go in the main entrance. Instead head for Maidens and walk north along the beach. There is a well signposted path here which gives access into the castle grounds. It's quite legitimate to walk in this way.

I was also going to mention the Galloway Forest, but got beaten to it!

Have a great time and don't forget your camera!

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Brilliant; thanks :). Really looking forward to a nice quiet time, mooching with the pup and doing lots of reading when he's asleep!

I have just printed the map leaflet from that link; brilliant as there are some shorter walks that I can take Kilo on as I can't walk him too far.

I will probably post far too many photos on here; going to send plenty to hubby as he is missing Kilo's first holiday!

#14 Dogless, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice