Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ball Pythons - Advice?

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Haydn Parsons, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Haydn Parsons

Haydn Parsons PetForums Newbie

Hi,

This is my first post and I’m hoping for some good advice. A little bit of a background story is that a close friend of mine is moving to Australia very soon, He had a ball python and he asked me if I wanted to take care of it, I’ve always wanted a snake and with a little research I found ball pythons a good entry level. Basically when I received the snake and did more research on the care and needs a few things struck me, the cage is around 120cm width and 30cm length, the snake I believe stretched out would be longer then the minimum of 150cm, so I’m going to pick him a new cage up, secondary he has a really really bad shed, he his shedding in really tiny amounts, I’ve read into this a little and seen that this is usually due to humidity, I’m trying my upmost best to create a really high humidity level for the snake hoping it will give him a better shed, he seems perfect in behaviour, he explores when we have him out of his vivarium and he loves his hideout, I’ve had him 2 days now and when I got him I got told he was due a feed and clean out, therefore I cleaned him out when I got him and I fed him a day later, he took the food perfectly with no issues.

Long story short I feel like he’s not had the best of care however I’ve read that they don’t eat it they are stressed and some other stuff so I’m just wandering if he is happy?

I’m also looking for advice on set ups, especially substrate, I see a lot of people who give advice use coconut fibre, I’m currently using hemp as that what he came with.

Basically I just need as much advice as possible, I’ve done research but in terms of his bad shedding how do I help this, will it just take longer to shed or will I have to assist him?

Thanks in advance for response
    Haydn.

2. Roylas1988

Roylas1988 PetForums Newbie

Hi there

Congratulations on your adoption of your Ball Python!

Firstly in regards to shedding, you can purchase on eBay some spagnum moss its really good stuff and holds humidity well, What i do with both my Ball Pythons during shed is i have a medium size airtight tub which i used a whole saw and cut a nice hole in the lid i put some moss in there and place it at the warm side of the vivarium and they go inside the tub and i have never had a bad shed using this method, You Tube also have a lot of useful videos to so be sure to check it out when you have the chance.

The great thing about spagnum is you can make it damp even if it dries out

Secondly when it comes to substrate coconut fiber is good i personally use aspen bedding, but have also used a mix of aspen and coconut fiber in the past. if your have any more questions please feel free to come back

Good luck :)

3. Roylas1988

Oh and in regards to your enclosure size i currently have one of my Royals in a 21L RUB and my other Royal is in a 24 inches long by 15 inches front to back by and 12 inches high wooden vivarium that's my male hes doing great.

I have my female in the rub and shes not doing so well unfortunately :-(

#3 Roylas1988, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  4. Haydn Parsons

Haydn Parsons PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply Royals!

I’m going to look for some ideas regarding the high humidity boxes with the most in and try and make something that looks good. So thanks for that idea

I’ll see what the local pet store has in regarding substrate, is it a good idea to mix substrate? For example on the hotter end of the enclosure have coconut fibre as that hold humidity well and then on the colder side go for more like a hemp kind of thing?

That sounds great! Hope your female gets better soon!

Thanks again

Roylas1988 likes this.
  5. Roylas1988

Hey there Haydn

Your very welcome :)

In regards to mixing your substrate you could do that although if your going to be making a humidity box i personally would just stick to one substrate, As you dont want to higher humidity all the time.

You must be aware of high humidity levels and what they can do to your snake. how are you measuring your temps and humidity?

Humidity ideally should be between 50-60% this is a healthy balance as to higher humidity can cause your snake to get a respiratory infection and also scale rot. what i usually do when i notice mine have gone (blue) cloudy/milky eyes and dull looking skin i keep a close eye on them and as soon as i have noticed the eyes have cleared i then put the humidity box in up the warm end!

Hope this helps :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice