Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ball python advice please

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Annab85, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Annab85

Annab85 PetForums Newbie

Hello
    I bought a #ballpython a few days ago. He/she seems to be in good health despite previous viv being filthy! Lovely clear skin and eyes. Looks to be ever so slightly underweight to me. Can just see spine. I've never had a ball before so a little unsure on prey size and feeding schedule. previous owner said she is 12 months old and eating large mice.
    From my research I'm thinking she is probably younger than that and should be on larger prey. But I'm not 100% sure.
    Can anyone here offer some guidance please? I have attached some pics of my lovely lady (guessing as not been sexed) her name is narner :) 20190911_161515.jpg 20190911_161553.jpg

2. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

She very well could be a year old, and the fact that she's on unsuitable prey is what has kept her on the smaller side, or she may have been a fussy feeder when younger which would also explain why she's a little behind.

Either way, she doesn't look too bad. I'd say maybe a smidge, literally just a smidge, underweight but feeding her something a bit more suitable will soon sort that out. If she's been on large mice and they're not suitable anymore, I'd suggest maybe small weaner rats. I don't know if you're in the UK or not, but if not for me a small weaner rat is a young rat that is a bit bigger than a large mouse, weighs between 25-50g per rat. Whereas large mice weight 20-25g per mouse.

Rats do have more protein than mice, and being bigger prey items they add weight nicely and are much better for bulkier snakes such as royals :) Just keep an eye on her for gaining weight too fast, feed once every 10-14 days and see how she does on that schedule. Adjust as needed :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice