Ball Obsessed Springer Spaniel

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by SuzanneMonty, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SuzanneMonty

SuzanneMonty PetForums Newbie

Our English Springer Spaniel 'Monty', 14 months old, is so obsessed with a ball that he will literally sit for an hour or longer just staring at it, waiting for someone to throw it to him. When he does fetch it, he will not bring it back directly to us, just in the vicinity and quickly gets into position ready to catch it when it is thrown. We aren't adverse to playing ball with him but it is honestly ridiculous the way he just sits outside fixating on the ball. Any suggestions?

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I used to walk a neighbours border collie that was ball obsessed. they ball only came out for short sessions and as it was such a motivator I used a couple of ball throws as a reward for working for it in some way. I used two identical balls to teach a good drop it - he would drop the current ball if he thought I would let him have the other one and that way he would come right back to me.

The rest of the time the ball was put away out of sight and he was encouraged to do other stuff like scent work, tuggy or training for treats.

Twiggy likes this.
  3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Lucky you....!! As Kittih has already said, use the ball to your advantage.

kittih likes this.
  4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Just to add that an obsession with a ball is the motivator used in many police and fire and rescue service working dogs (a fair few of which are springers). They love their ball so much that just a throw or two after a search is sufficient reward. So I suggest you come up with some stuff you want your dog to learn and use the ball just to reward that.