Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baldness on cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bonjo, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Bonjo

Bonjo PetForums Newbie

for a little while now my cat has gradually been getting balder. It started on her inner hind legs, then the bottom of her stomach and now it’s beginning to go bald on the lower part of her tail. She’s one years old and I’ve tried changing her food to Harrington’s in case it was a food allergy causing it but that hasn’t made a difference so I decided to get her some stress and anxiety supplements as she is quite a nervous and stressed cat and I heard stress could cause baldness but that also hasn’t made a difference. Apart from going patchy in areas, she’s no different from usual and is still eating, drinking and playing fine. I’ve also made sure I keep up with her flea treatment and worming.Does anyone know what else it could be that’s causing it and should I be concerned?

Attached Files:

2. Bonjo

Bonjo PetForums Newbie

This is how she used to look with full fur

Attached Files:

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Have you actually seen her overgrooming? One of my cats has the same problem but I know hers was initially stress related and I think its become a habit now. She is a nervous cat and I give her Zylkene daily which certainly calms her down and makes her less likely to do it. If you've eliminated the possible cause as fleas and you think it might be a food allergy, finding out what is the culprit is a long process and not quite as simple as merely changing food. @chillminx is best to explain this to you if she sees your thread. Does she go outside? If so, you could get your vet to rule out mites which she could pick up though I would think it would be more widespread. This issue is a real nuisance to diagnose and treat.

4. Bonjo

Bonjo PetForums Newbie

I do think that the problem is she’s over grooming so I’ve ordered her some Zylkene and I’ll give that a try, if it doesn’t work then I’ll definately take her to the vets. Thank you for your help

Charity likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Bonjo - food allergies in cats tend to result mostly in itchy ears and itchy face, resulting in self inflicted scratch wounds on the face, head and neck. Sometimes at the base of the spine too (as with one of my cats who has controlled feline dermatitis).

Grooming the legs, or e.g. the tummy, to the point of causing baldness could be due to an allergy, but less likely IME. I have found with my boy that when he goes through periods of licking the insides of his front legs raw, it is due to anxiety. Zylkene as recommended by Charity definitely helps. I give him a course for a month and then he is OK after that for about 3 months.

My cat is a rescued stray and one thing that makes him very anxious is being shut indoors when he wants to go out. For that reason I mostly allow him to come and go as he pleases through the microchip cat flap, and that helps. However my neighbour recently adopted 2 adult neutered male cats and one of them is quite aggressive. He keeps following my cat around and attacking him and has caused nasty bites on his tail and neck which became abscesses. So at present I am 'between a rock and a hard place' . My cat wants to go out at night and I want him to stay in because my neighbour lets her cats out at night. So my cat gets anxious if he's shut in, and if he goes out he gets hassled or attacked by the 'demon' cat next door . Can't win! :(

I wonder if there are any issues upsetting your cat, to do with other cats in the neighbourhood?

Or if you have other pets, could there be an issue there causing her anxiety?

Puddy2shoes likes this.
  6. Bonjo

Bonjo PetForums Newbie

Thank you that’s really helpful. I do actually see quite a few cats going past my back gate and she has been chased a few times. I will see how the Zylkene works though and take it from there :)

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice