Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Balding around left ear to eye area. What could cause this?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by stockwellcat., May 31, 2017.

1. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

Stacey has balding around her right ear to eye on her head. Checked her for fleas and nothing, her ears are cleaned twice a week. I have made an appointment for her and she will be seen by vet tomorrow at 9:30am. What can cause this?

I have tried uploading a photo I took but for some reason they won't upload.

#1 stockwellcat., May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
  2. Pepperpots

Pepperpots PetForums Senior

Ear mites?

stockwellcat. likes this.
  3. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

Heres the photo..

IMG_20170531_085921277_HDR~2.jpg

4. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

How would I tell it's ear mites? Are they visible? If they are I haven't seen any. I clean her ears twice a week.

5. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

I know when I was worried about mites I got told that sometimes you can see brown "coffee looking" granules in the ears. Not sure about other symptoms though x

6. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

7. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

I forgot to say she doesn't have contact with other cats or dogs as she lives alone in my home.

8. Pepperpots

Have you seen her scratching? I'd run down the list of fleas, ear mites, then allergies making her itchy. You might want a trip to the vets.

9. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

She is seeing the vets tomorrow at 9:30am.
    • Checked for fleas - none.
    • She has never had ear mites so I wouldn't know what they look like (she has her ears cleaned twice a week).
    • She has allergies yes - chicken mainly. She was allergic to beef a while ago but is ok now with beef (I will take her off beef again to see if that is the problem).
    • She was treated with Advantage Flea treatment on the 14th May 2017 but is very low risk for catching fleas as she is an indoor only cat. She has never had fleas.
    • She has no contact with other cats or dogs.
    Will see what the vet says in the morning.

#9 stockwellcat., May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
  10. Pepperpots

Good luck. Sounds like the beef might be to blame.

11. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

I will be very interested to hear what the vet says to you. Bertie has had similar and I was told that it was either allergy or "natural thinning" - the latter I didn't think much of as he was then a six month old ragdoll kitten who wouldn't having thinning fur without reason.

Anyway, I have never really got to the bottom of it although the fur has filled in a little. I have cut out all grain products in his diet and stopped his Sheba addiction!

12. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

I feed raw boneless meat chunks and premix to Stacey and can normally spot when a meat is causing problems. She has an allergy to chicken I found this out via monitoring her on this, and has had an allergy with beef in the past so won't be surprised if this is what is causing the issue if it is an allergy reaction.

I will know the vets opinion at 9:30am tomorrow morning.

13. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Bertie doesn't have beef at all (he didn't like it) but does generally eat chicken or fish. I stopped his raw diet because I couldn't stand the smell (but would possibly consider going back to it if really necessary). He generally has a variety of the higher protein foods from Zooplus and tins of Thrive Complete, also a little of the Thrive dried food too.

14. Alexhannah

Alexhannah PetForums Member

I have a cat who's fur is like this on both sides, her fur has always been slightly balder there since she was a kitten and the only health issue she has ever had was a very slight heart murmur which is now gone. I have never really thought anything of it before and my vet has never commented on it so perhaps it is somewhat normal?

15. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

A little update.

Stacey was seen by the vet and she said the skin is fine, no infections or mites she thinks it ageing, she said this sometimes happens.

Stacey's (Stacey has HCM) heart rate: 180. I am chuffed as this is the best it has been in clinic. Her heart murmur was barely audible, the vet said she was struggling to find it, the murmur that is.

chillminx likes this.
  16. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Havent read the whole thread, but demodex mites would be a suggestion they live in the hair follicles and cause patches of baldness, in dogs around the eyes and face are often the first place you notice the bald patches. You can get something called localised or generalised wider areas and a lot of patches. Most dogs carry a few demodex mites but a normal immune system keeps them down, if they multiply then you can get symptoms. I had no Idea I must admit if it can be a problem in cats but on checking
    it is possible.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice