Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bald Patchers !

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Bushpig, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Bushpig

Bushpig PetForums Newbie

I have a 2 year old black labrador who's just brill, his health is fine apart from 2 things that are bothering me.

I've been bushing him regularly especially at the moment as his molting but I've noticed some flakes in his coat - his coat apart from that is in good condition.
    2nd thing is is got 2 bald patches on his legs - one of his left hind leg and one front right on the joints - they are not red or itchy and only small patchers but have no idea why he's got them.

Anybody any ideas !:confused:

2. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

do you notice him nibbling his legs at all . This can be stress induced grooming an old dog of mine did it but made his front paws sore . or it could be diet causing it, I know both our labs are molting at the mo its a nightmare a diet difficient in all it needs of a food allergy to something in his food could do it , or im not sure on this but like people get allopescia could a dog get the same do you think ?? keep an eye on it and if it seems to get worse or it bothers him maybe have him looked at by the vet .

3. Bushpig

Bushpig PetForums Newbie

Morning, thanks for the reply, Max doesnt nibble the bald patch or even scratch it, it not red or sore, just no hair on it, the skin is a bit hard though. He's going to the vet in June for his jabs so I might ask when I'm there. I've tried some cream on it but doesnt make any difference:confused:

4. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

AHHH ok if its a bit hard it could be excema even if its not flakey try virgin olive oil rubbed on his patches it works wonders , i advise a lot of people to use this on thier scalp if they have sore bits and also babies with crdle cap it can take a while to soften it up but a smidge rubbed on a few times a day is good .

5. EllenJay

EllenJay PetForums Member

Could they not be pressure points from when your dog is lying down. Our old girl has a large patch on each elbow and a tiny one on her back leg.

6. daveleeuk

daveleeuk PetForums Member

Sounds like it may be ring worm, do they itch it loads?

7. AJ

AJ Guest

Without seeing it it's impossible to say, it could be any of the following; parasites, infections, nutritional deficiencies or hormonal problems.

If it was me and I couldn't diagnose it myself I would be getting him to the vets asap to ensure it's not something serious. :)

8. cazza

cazza PetForums Newbie

My retriever got bald patches on his elbows from lying at the gate (on concrete) I put a rubber mat down for him and he s ok now!:cool::

9. AJ

AJ Guest

It could be something as simple as that! But what if it's ringworm as daveleeuk said? You don't want to be leaving it until June. If you aren't sure what it is the best thing to do is get him to a vet. :)

10. Bushpig

Bushpig PetForums Newbie

Will do some research on ringworm but cannot imagine its anything like that - Max shows no signs of stomach problems and generall in good health, good coat, clear eyes. Surely if it was ringworm there would probably be other health issues.
    He does have an outside run however (on concrete) so maybe its where he lies down !
    Will get come olive oil and try that (will have to buy some though as I only have the posh olive oil with chillies - dont think Max would appreciate that !):rolleyes:

11. nici

nici PetForums Senior

sounds like pressure sore`s to me most dogs get them if they like lying on hard ground my dog has them and she love laying on the cold floor mostly elbows

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice