Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Bald patch from injury

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by TabulaRasa, Aug 9, 2018.

1. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa PetForums Member

One of my Chinchillas last week managed to injure herself, I'm not certain how but I think she managed to prick herself on something as she suddenly had a sore bare spot on her shoulder with a tiny red dot in the middle. I left it at first then noticed it felt like a squishy blob beneath the skin. I put Surolan on it for a couple of nights and now it feels much smaller but she's got this pink bald patch about the size of a 50 pence piece, with so far no sign of new fur growth and I'm wondering if that's normal. The bare skin feels quite hot to touch but nothing is oozing or leaking and it doesn't appear to be bothering her as she's eating, drinking, running and leaping around as normal. Should I just leave it and see if the hair starts growing again? Is it safe to put a bit of Sudocrem on the skin instead?

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

I would get it vet checked as I don't feel she should have such a large bald patch simply by pricking herself. Could this in any way be related to the fungal condition?

3. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa PetForums Member

I do hope not! I stopped treating them for that at the beginning of last month on my vet's recommendation and I've not seen a trace of anything since *touch wood*. There's no mark on the bald spot now, the skin is it's usual greyish white under natural light, it's not bothering her and the squishy bit under the skin has almost gone. I'm wondering if it was an infection or small abscess that the Surolan has dealt with?

4. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

How is your chin TabulaRasa?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice