Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bald patch and redness on leg

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by RoseGarden, Jan 12, 2020.

1. RoseGarden

RoseGarden PetForums Newbie

I'm worried about my cat, who has a bald patch on his leg. I've noticed he has been licking that spot quite a lot and I'm trying to stop him and just within the last day it's now gone red. He's flea and de wormer are on the way so I'm thinking it could be down to fleas or even stress? There's been alot of people in my house recently and he doesn't like new people.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same with their cat and what did you do to help? Or how to stop him from licking it?

Thankyou

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@RoseGarden

The way to stop your cat licking his leg bald is for the vet to identify what is making him itchy and then treat him for it. You can't stop him licking himself or scratching himself if he is itchy. Imagine how frustrating you would find it if someone prevented you from scratching yourself if you were itchy?!

If he is an outdoor cat and you don't treat him every month for fleas then the cause could be fleas, though I would expect fleas to make him itch all over. Have you seen flea dirt on him (black specks) ?

Or it could be mites if he goes outdoors, though it is the wrong time of year for mites.

Or it could be a food allergy, though food allergies tend to mostly affect the head, face, and ears and sometimes the back near the tail.

Or it could be stress related. But all other possible causes should be ruled out first by the vet before a diagnosis of stress is made.

A useful article from Icat Care on itchiness when it is not due to flea allergy dermatitis.

https://icatcare.org/advice/the-pruritic-itchy-cat-when-it-is-not-fleas/

I would make an appointment with the vet tomorrow. You can't leave your cat as he is; he must be very uncomfortable, bless him. The vet will examine him thoroughly and may give him a course of steroids as well as antibiotics (f the skin has become infected).

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I havn't had anything similar with any of my animals but if I did I would be off to the vet for treatment ,as @chillminx says you cant leave it untreated .

RoseGarden and Soozi like this.
  4. RoseGarden

RoseGarden PetForums Newbie

Thankyou for your reply. I have checked for fleas and can't see any black specks. He is an indoor cat so unlikely it would be mites I think. I will be taking him to the vets, to see what it is and get it sorted. Thankyou for the website, it is very useful

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice