Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bakers mix - puppy food and adult

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ad_1980, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok guys i'm bringing this subject up about Bakers and i think it should be made a sticky if more people post on the subject to keep people aware.

but my parents have now put Mika on Bakers puppy food - which i think is causing his hyperness in the evening rather than the heat and i actually do not think its a great mix to be feedng him but my parents don't seem to care about that and seem to just care about the fact that hes eating.

Can someone tell me how to explain to my parents that Bakers is not a great food for dogs, or at least for a puppy anyway?

We unfortunately give Dante Bakers as well:( and he's been having Bakers since he reached adulthood

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hmm, I always thought Bakers was a good brand, until I actually realised what was in it and what it was doing to Sky.

Do the dogs have runny poos at all?

I'm not sure you can explain it to your parents though, try offering them a healthier alternative that costs around the same or less?

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Dante has runny poos from time to time...

i've not seen anything from Mika yet....i'll have to ask my mum when i get home.

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Bakers is probably causing the runny poos (assuming there's nothing else going on). I switched mine over to Country Choice dry and wet. It has 65% chicken and rice (the higher the percentage the better!! You don't want anything aritifical). I get it in my local petshop, a 15kg sack costs me £18 and I also get a slab of 8 tins for £4.99

It's great stuff and feeds my collie cross and my gsd pup for a month :)

If you have the money I definitely recommend nature diet (wet) and Arden Grange (dry) :)

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I have the money - if i was living on my own with the dogs then i wouldn't even feed them bakers, i always wondered just how bad it was for dogs and since coming here i know just HOW bad it is! But i cant argue about this with my parents :( Apparently when it comes to dogs i know zilch :(

6. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We got our puppy last week from someone who had bought her from the breeder but unfortunately they couldn't keep her because the lady's hours changed at work and she had to work full time so the puppy was on it's own all day. They ran out of food so bought Bakers puppy dried food and I'm in the process of changing her over to James Wellbeloved lamb and rice puppy food at the moment. Her poo's haven't really bad on the bakers although she had diarrhoea last night but I wormed her yesterday so it may have been that.

7. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

When we visited my mam, Millie stole her dogs dinner (Bakers) and the change in her was amazing. She was totally hyper and kept bouncing all over. We had to feed Sammy seperately and pick his bowl up as soon as he had eaten so she didn't get any. I couldn't take her for a walk as she was just too much. Once she was back home and everything was back to normal she was a different dog.

Someone gave her one of those red chew sticks lately and we got the same behaviour. The colouring etc. in Bakers affected her like it does some children.

Why not get some samples of different dog food and try them out? The difference in behaviour might convince your parents. :)

8. LucyJ

LucyJ PetForums Member

CheekoAndCo and sequeena like this.
  9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If you can afford to get them decent food, why dont you just go and buy some, and bin the Bakers?

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

If bakers is reeally terribly bad for dogs which i now know after confirmation from you lot, then why isn't it banned?!

i think a petition should go around calling for the banning of such rubbish food.

12. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

I have to say Banjo has been on Bakers since we've had him and he's been fine with it. I've yet to meet a dog with a shinier coat and he is not in the slightest bit hyperactive. Having said that we are starting to move him on to arden grange after all I've read on here about Bakers (plus DT posted a link to a great offer on ebay a couple of weeks ago). I just hope he doesn't get any more chilled out- I'll have trouble moving him if he does!

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I can't tell you why it's not banned :(

Stay away from Pedigree too, it's exactly the same

14. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Cheeko gets Bakers and I'd rather he never even though I don't really know whats bad about it it's just because I've heard people saying it's bad for dogs. I'm not really sure what else I could feed him as he's pretty fussy with hard food and it's taken us 8 years to get him to eat it without it being soft. He can be pretty hyperactive and his eyes run. I'm planning on putting him on the adult version of whatever the puppy gets. I buy his food but mum always tells me I've not to change it because Bakers is always on offer in Asda. I got a voucher through for a free bag of puppy Eukanuba that I will use for treats when training. He used to be on Wagg but his eyes were soo bad with run marks!

15. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I emailed my sister to ask her to test something out for me - me and my sister are constantly arguing about pretty much everything and anything these days.....but this is her reply

he had eukanuba yesterday! like mum said...if you listened...we're to alternate, to give him variety....would you rather he didn't eat anything at all or bakers every other day? all of our dogs have had bakers. they've all be healthy and lived well. theyre diet is balanced with highly nutrioned food, and not just junk. dont think you need to worry and loook up and believe everything you read online...its not always better than real life experience!

So once again...i'm not being listened to....so......guess he's stuck on Bakers. I may as well not exist! LOL

16. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

17. Oblada

Oblada Guest

dogfoodanalysis is a pretty good website, I really learned a lot looking stuff up on there..and it confirmed other things Id read in books on dog nutrition...

ad_1980 - may I add that switching food every other day is also not usually recommended for dogs, could make their tummy upset...for a dog to have "variety" the ideal would either be to "variate" tasty treats and addition to normal diet or to give homemade food (no easy task;))..
    Its a shame your family won't listen to you...but they just have to read whats on the back of Backers and compare with better food; Bakers is full of additive and E numbers etc and probably not a good amount of meat (and possibly poor quality)...
    Print out the DogFoodAnalysis thing, maybe that can help....
    I know of people who are thin and relatively healthy despite having a bad diet, doesnt mean we should all do it ;)

18. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Also if you stick to one brand you can get pretty good deals by buying "bulks"...

Ad_1980 - whats your family reasons for sticking to a food that MAY have proven OK for your existing dog but is branded as sh** by many people? There no harm is trying to stick to a different food is there? If its cost issue, feeding a better quality food is very likely to be comparable in price to Bakers as you would need to feed less (and stock less..;)).

Poor quality diet can cause rashes, bad skin, running stinky poo, winds as well of course as behaviour issues...and could lead to a shorter lifespan.

19. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I'm pretty sure (you may correct me if i am wrong) but some of the additives in Bakers is banned in this country for human consumption as it is know to cause hyperactivity in children, so probably arn't to good for your dog either

juliex

20. leoti

leoti PetForums VIP

I wouldnt feed this rubbish to my dogs if it was the last food on earth it is so full of addatives , my dogs are fed the barf diet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice