Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baffeld by continuous upset belly

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by chocalab, May 9, 2010.

1. chocalab

chocalab PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    Hope you can help me. Is James Wellbeloved known for causing loose poo's and a windy tummy?

My 18wk old Lab was on Burns and we changed him to James gradually and all seem to be fine, however his poo has never been that 'firm', his coat has a lovely shine and he is happy puppy so it seems he is getting everything he needs in his meal but could it be the cause of the runny tummy?

Recently he had and infection due to having eaten something that did not agree with him. He had blood in his poo so the vet put him on 24hrs of no food to be followed by chicken and rice for few days before returning to normal food gradually, also he had a course of antibiotics and pro-kolin (clay to firm things up) to help things heal up. While on chicken and rice diet he wasn't windy and his poo was kinda firming up after being pure water due to infection (poor thing:frown:).

Tonight he again had very runny poo and I'm now really baffled and getting concerned if James is causing the problem or is it just a passing phase? Is it the fact he is on puppy food still? Should he be on Junior or adult?
    I'm thinking of returning to rice and chicken for few days but will he be getting all the right stuff he needs for healthy growth?

Any ideas???

Thanks

Cody's mummy

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi Cody's mom,
    Was the Burns a chicken based food? Some dogs just dont do well on some foods.I had alot of problems with my labs(one in particular!) in their early months and found that they didnt do well on the high protein.Im not saying this is what your pup has but it could be worth a thought. Mine didnt get on with JWB,
    Was your pups poo ok on the rice and chicken,proper solid poos? And was the Burns what the breeder gave pup?

3. rona

rona Guest

Maybe the infection hadn't quite cleared up and it has flared up again.
    Why did you change from an excellent food to a mediocre one? :confused:

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could be the JWB. I had to change mine after they had been on it for years, as it made their poo's all Mr Whippy like for months on end.

Might be worth having a feces sample checked. I imagine you've had good old Synulox or similar, which isnt always affective against certain bacterial infections. Ive had cats with campylobactor, and Synulox did nothing for them.
    Knowing exactly whats wrong will enable you to treat it more specifically.

If the test shows nothing, then it would more than likely be the diet causing the problem.

5. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

I just changed Cian's food again and for the first time he has normal poo. Before it was often odd colour and a bit runny.
    Sometimes you have to try different types of food.
    I give this now

First Class Pet Food

it is chicken too, most puppy food is.

6. chocalab

Hi all, thanks for getting back to me.
    Breeder had him on burns and we chaged to james as we discovered that when we take Cody on holiday with us abroad james is sold more widely than burns, also we were told they were both good as each other. Cody was bit on thin side in begining and we were told burns leaves Labs bit too lean. Dont know if it was a right change but it seemed right when we did it. Thinking back on it now his poo has been soft ever since the change.

The infection has cleared away but maybe the antibiotics have givent their own twist to the tummy health and with that in mind I have been giving him bio youghurt to help with healthy tummy bacteria. As he had the infection and tummy was very runny I'm not sure if the chicken and rice combo would have firmed all up sooner.
    I'm going to give him the Chicken and rice for few days and then introduce 'proper food' gradually. I know to avoid Bakers and the other Macdonalds of dog food but which ones would you recomend?

Thanks

Cody's mummy

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Just keep an eye out for any more infection type poos,just incase its not completely gone (they often require more than one course)but hopefully thats all done with now.
    Everyone has their own views about which food to use,and different foods suit different dogs.My lot went through a variety of the more expensive foods and non of them suited.I was eventually reccommended CSJ,and never looked back.I too tend to switch pups on to adult food earlier than some and have had pups and adults on the CSJ champ.My lot seemed better on less protein,and this food also helped with digestive problems i was having with one of mine.
    You will get lots of suggestions on food,look into them all,try get samples and see what suits you and your dog.

8. chocalab

Thanks Bearpaw!!

I will keep trying to find the right one for him whilst making sure it's not unhealthy kind.
    Feeling bit blond today....could you tell me what the CSJ stands for?

Thanks!

9. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi hope you find the right food to suit your dog, i am also having the same problem with Ben, we have tried Arden Grange, fish 4 dogs, wainwrights and at the moment he is very runny again. So we will be on chicken and rice for the next couple of days and see what happens then.

10. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice