Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Badgers

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Guinevere13, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Just heard it on the news - very briefly I might add - that the government are allowing some farmers to shoot badgers to prevent TB as a trial!

Words fail me about what I think of this government :mad:

2. Nico0laGouldsmith

Nico0laGouldsmith PetForums VIP

3. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

dispicable!
    geez, that is so stupid!:mad5:

4. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

I am in our local Badger Society and they actually want to cull 75% of badgers,humans wont be satisfied until they've got rid of all our wildlife:mad5:

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Is that 75% or 75% in a certain area as a trial?

6. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Sorry should have put it as 75% in trial areas 3 at the moment.Suex

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

What would people rather happened? Would they rather see all wildlife left alone until only the ones that eat the most and happen to survive in the habitat left remain as part of our natural world?

I'm sorry but I think it's extremely naieve to believe that all wildlife can life happy fluffy lives and that nature will some how balance itself out in this country, and at the same time have no impact on farming and livestock. We live here too, we've caused problems, and we need to find ways to resolve it, and at the same time maintain healthy populations. There's no talk of eradicating badgers, but there is talk of maintaining smaller populations, because there are simply far too many of them at this moment in time, and the impact they are having on other animals, such as the population of hedgehogs, is unacceptable.

It's like any other animal, in the right place, in the right numbers, they are sustainable, in the wrong place in the wrong numbers, they need to be controlled.

8. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

I hear what you are saying and agree,I am not being naive or think wildlife can live happy fluffy lives,I have killed more rabbits this year than any other year with myxi,I suppose I am for badgers as have seen the results often of there discarded bodies after they have been used for badger baiting a sickening sight.but I fully understand your points:)

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

There were a couple of blokes prosecuted up near Hull somewhere, either earlier this year, or late last year, for badger baiting, awful practice :mad:

I think I must have seen about ten dead at the side of the roads this year, there are honestly so many of them around here. The OH was on a shoot recently, where the owners have a badger sett near the house, they've even set out a bench to view them in the summer time.

10. Guinevere13

I just wondered why we bothered having a wildlife act that is supposed to protect our native mammals if we can just ignore it and shoot them when they become an inconvenience to us.

11. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I think its a case of a rock & a hard place :( I dont want Badgers culled but do feel for all the farmers who have had to have cattle destroyed becasue of TB, there has to be a better way.

12. Guinevere13

They have had plenty of time to work on a vaccine. It is like foot and mouth - there is a vaccine for that but it isn't used. Probably money as usual. It is cheaper to kill I suppose.

Just fed up with that sort of mentality that is all. :eek:

13. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I think you have misunderstood F&M vaccine.

Animal Aid: FOOT AND MOUTH - VACCINATION

Ring Vaccination for Foot-and-Mouth Disease (Techniques)

Much as TB vaccines are.

Jenner

Badgers and bovine TB | RSPCA Political Animal

Read the bit about £7 million being spent by the government on trying to create a feasible vaccine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice