Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Badgers Are Dying In Agony...organs outside its body!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by noushka05, Sep 16, 2013.

1. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

The animal rescue centre Secret World in Highbridge, Somerset, says a post mortem on a dead badger (pictured) proves the animals are suffering painful deaths as part of the badger cull. It the first photo released of a culled badger.

They say that the position of the badger's organs outside its body - which is too graphic to publish - and the fact it was found away from its sett, show that it did not die instantaneously, but ran away mortally wounded.

Charity: Pictures show badgers are dying in agony | West Country (W) - ITV News

Now even Governments Chief Vet admits he can't define what's a 'humane' kill of badgers!

EXCLUSIVE: Government Chief Vet admits he can't define what's a 'humane' kill of badgers | UK | News | Daily Express …

Anyone who supports this indefensible cull is absolutely NOT an animal lover.

simplysardonic likes this.
  2. porps

porps Swollen Member

i'm sure this will please the bloodthirsty bastards who run this country no end.
    i kind of suspect that this badger cull is just a clandestine replacement for fox hunting. Killing animals is their idea of fun, so the introduce a cull against all the evidence so that they can legally do just that.

#2 porps, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    noushka05 and simplysardonic like this.
  3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

This has been confirmed as a badger that was not part of the ongoing cull. If it has been shot, then it hasn't been done as part of this cull, it has been shot illegally and the rescue involved need to involve the police, and share information on the type of ballistics used.

4. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

I may be talking out of my ar$e here, but I doubt that the same people who used to fox hunt are the ones now going off to cull badgers. :confused:

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

As badgers are being culled by shooting at a time of year when the ground vegetation is still high, it's inevitable the marksmen can't get a clean killing shot all the time, or even part of it.

The whole thing is ill-thought-out and wrong.

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I can assure you I am an animal lover, and I don't like sweeping generalisations made about my beliefs. I could say the same, anyone who is unable to see the clear logic that some species will always need their numbers controlling to avoid populations becoming out of balance, allowing numbers to reach proportions where they are more prone to disease and starvation, now that to me is cruel beyond belief.

7. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Disgusting :(

8. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

[
    Badger cull - fox hunters all are connected;). Our Rona posted an excellent link(that ive not got round to replying to as yet) on one of my other badger threads , heres a snippet...

Foxes are known to share similar foods, have similar activity patterns and will often use active badger setts as breeding dens. As they are competitors, the eradication of badgers will see fox numbers increase substantially (more food, more breeding ground, no competitor, no threat to cubs etc). The result will most likely be a similar call to kill foxes, of course - given the Death culture predelictions of that heinous, vocal minority among the Coalition. (Badgers are currently the superior competitor because they are larger and more aggressive, so they keep the fox population down.)

An experimental investigation was, in fact, carried out re-fox numbers increasing in direct response to badger culling, and it was found that over a period of 2 years, "mean fox density increased by 57% in the culled areas within 24 months." That's not an insignificant relationship. Amongst other things, the badger culls are a ruse to overturn the hunting ban within the next 2 years. All our pro-cull ministers, including Mr Paterson and Mr Cameron, are known hunters.

Confirmed by Defra:rolleyes: .. how can they possibly know that?:confused: It was found in Somerset cull zone. If this was an 'illegal' killing the Government are still to blame! they have unleashed a monster on our badgers...its open season out there!

#8 noushka05, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
  9. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

Our poor Badgers are being slaughtered. I have signed petitions to stop it, but doubt if it will do any good. Its absolutely disgusting what is going on. These people are all blood thirsty evil.......I cant put into words what I think of them. Ill never ever understand human beings.

10. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

The pictures of this probably are too horrific to be shown on a family based forum but I think they should be available to people then they can see the real gory horror of being shot.

We see dead animals at the sides of roads, we eat meat........we dont see how something gets dead cos its distasteful and upsets us.

If we euthanised our pets in this way, if we killed our meat in this way, we would be declared a nation of savages.and quite rightly so..who is there to protect the badger.a protected species now being killed by the authority that made laws to protect it?

11. Mulish

Mulish Just a Little Penguin

I was under the impression that the badger cull was to stop the spread of TB to cows, nothing to do with keeping their numbers down for their own good?

I'm a townie and so am open to being told I'm wrong about countryside matters(so long as there's actual facts to back it up) but I can't see how killing perfectly healthy animals in their own habitat so that farmed animals can be disease free is morally justifiable in a 'nation of animal lovers'.

12. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

So we should set up a similar cull for humans, in some parts of the world, where population doesnt match food supply, shoot them like the badgers are shot? I mean if its good for one species why not another aye.

13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I could agree with you, the main species that is breeding out of control and really needs to be controlled are the Homo sapiens (humans) they are a plague on the planet, breeding without any thought about how everyone is going to be feed, some expecting other people to pay for them and their families as they can't feed them themselves, there are starving people all over the world, and we worry about a few badgers :mad2:

14. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

And slaying other life and demolishing habitats to please themselves as well.

15. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

People have been shooting Badgers for years and then dumping the bodies on roads so as not to arouse suspicion as it's hard to prove one way or the other when it's been squished by a lorry and this why you see so many more dead badgers on the roads than you ever used to before the laws to protect them came in.

16. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

And each other, we're vicious to our own species too :(

17. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I'm sorry but how does the fact that the body was away from the sett prove that it suffered?

Badgers do spend a lot of the night away from their setts :confused:

I would hazard a guess that that badger was actually one of the lucky ones and was shot with an appropriate sized shot that assured it died fairly instantaneously

It's the ones sliding off into the setts with fairly minor but potentially life threatening injuries are the ones I'd be concerned about

#17 rona, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  18. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

But horses are often PTS via a bolt gun and it's what I would choose for mine when his time comes. I'm not convinced the injection is correct for such a large animal. If an animal is slaughtered for kosher or halal consumption, it is generally hung upside down and it's throat is slit with no electric stun gun first (despite European legislation :rolleyes:). KFC and BA all use halal meat.

19. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

What do they mean Governments chief vet cant define whats a humane kill of badgers?!!

Its not rocket science a humane kill is one that's instant and there isn't any pain suffering or stress.

Shooting moving running badgers at night, whether so called legally or illegally by inexperienced marksman, there is likely going to be more injuries and fatal woundings then there are going to be clean instant kills just as every one feared there would be and was said all along. The chances are that each shot would be instant and painless was against the shooting and the way its being done right from the start.

20. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I have seen the bolt and injection for horses PTS. I would have always said the bolt cos of an horrific PTS of my friends sick horse that was injected and took 40minutes to die.....the last 2 we had PTS were as a result of accidents and the vet came here before going to the surgery to pick the gun up. I am converted to the injection when its done properly and correctly by a vet that actually knows what he is doing.
    Our last PTS was our old stallion and I asked for the injection. He was dead before the needle was out of his vein and he slid gently to the floor.

Thats totally different to people taking pot shots at protected wildlife.

I really can't see the need for animals going for slaughter not being stunned and it done under the banner of religion. Thats still totally different than someone taking pot shots for fun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice