Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Badger going in his crate - too much?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by the melster, Apr 10, 2011.

1. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

We have just upgraded Badger from his puppy crate to his full size crate and he loves it. He has now started taking himself off to bed after tea but as he sleeps more deeply in his crate this is affecting his night time sleeping. He woke us up 3 times last night for a wee when he usually sleep through.

His crate is somewhere he knows he can go when he wants to be left alone so my question is ... should I limit his access to the crate or wait and see if it settles down?

2. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

I would not necessarily connect the change of crate to the increase in nightime weeing. They may just as well not be related. I'd get this checked at the vet before anything else.

As for restricting his use, I'd say no. It's his refuge and his private "home" and I wouldn't want to prevent any of my dogs retreating there when they either wanted or needed to.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I would just give it another day or two, make sure you take him out for a pee, last thing before you go to bed even if you have to wake him and encourage him to go out.

Keep an eye on him in general though over the next day or so, to see if he is peeing or drinking more than normal in general, if he is and/or the night time
    urinating continues, when hes been going through the night no problem before. Maybe it might be an idea to check out he hasnt got a urinary trat infection.

Jusst one last thought, have you been giving him any different chews or something he doesnt usually have in the evening. Some types of chew and pigs ears and things, tend to make them really thirsty and they tend to need to pee more. Its happened with mine in the past.

4. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

definitely dont restrict his entering his crate of his own free will....he obviously knows he is safe and 'in bed' in there and you dont want to take that away from him.

have a look at his activity levels before bedtime...is he getting over excited? is he drinking more than usual? is he let out before he goes to bed? is his water throughout the night restricted to around 1/4 bowlful? has his diet changed in any way recently? is he hearing other members of the household stir for the toilet in the night? is anyone moving around (teenagers coming in late for example) who might have disturbed him?

more often than not a dog who goes through the night and then suddenly starts not doing has undergone some sort of change...with patience it will all settle down again.

he is gooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrgeous by the way!
    i adored my black lab and he reminds me so much of him when he was a puppy!

5. the melster

Thanks for the replies. I will take your advice and monitor him but he isn't really doing anything different to usual eating and drinking wise. He has his evening meal at 6pm ish and is taken down throughout the evening and just before bed. He usually stays in the lounge which means he gets disturbed with the cat, the other dog, us, tv etc and every hour he gets up and has a play with Bo so when he actually goes through to his crate he crashes out and snores like a trooper. Because he is getting deep sleep earlier on he seems to be waking up more in the night.

I will watch if he is drinking more and keep an eye on him.

PS ... Everybody thinks he is a lab (had an argument the other day with a lady who breeds them who wouldn't have it! :D) ... he's a cocker spaniel crossed with a lakeland terrier.

6. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

really? he is the spitting image of my lab at 3 months old...:)

he is still gooooooorrrrrrrgeous!
    ;)

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

They look like lab ears from a distance, but looking closer they are spaniel wavyness in there :p Wouldn't've guessed the lakeland bit though. You got a recent pic? :)

8. the melster

Took this one yesterday ...

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice