Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Badger found dying shot between the eyes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by noushka05, Aug 25, 2013.

1. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I didn't read the link as it would just have been too upsetting, RIP Brock Badger.

3. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

:( So sad.

As for the cull I expect this will happen a lot, those doing the killing aren't really going to give a damn if the badgers die instantly or slowly.

Do badgers spread it to cattle or do cattle spread it to badgers?

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

What a terrible picture...thank goodness he was pts...he could have lived hours longer in dreadful pain and fear. Poor little guy.:mad:

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Looks like its as feared it would be, as it says an air pistol, the cull is going to de-value their so called protective status and send out a message ad hoc killing is OK.

As even the "official" marksmen haven't got experience with shooting badgers and at night either, and as so few of the cull killed ones are going to be checked for humane clean kills and they cant check ones that may go to ground injured with the cull, looks like it is going to be a regular occurance.

It is horrible its hearbreaking but people should see it, and realise what is happening, as Badgers will be dying the same with the cull too.
    That picture shows more then a million words and arguments could exactly what they are doing and why it is so very wrong.

Honestly Jo that photo has made me cry so sad for the badgers.

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Utterly sickening :(

7. noushka05

No they don't give a damn, the shooters are gloating about killing them all over social media sites. Thousands of badger are going to die in agony, its a huge cover up, theres only a handful of monitors monitoring the shootings of a handful of badgers, only 60 free shot badgers will be given a post mortem to see if they suffered...its absolutely sickening.

Like many species, badgers can carry tb, but there is no empirical data to prove badger to cattle transmission. The single biggest cause of btb in cattle is without doubt other cattle.

#7 noushka05, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  8. noushka05

This is why I posted it June, I am sorry to have upset you all though x

9. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

Just horrible - poor, poor badger :mad: How could someone do that?? :mad:

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Don't worry about the upsetting people Jo, it needs to be seen, like I said that one photo drives home more then research, valid arguments and scientific data why the cull shouldn't go ahead more then anything else ever could.

11. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Just sick...if its going to be done, it needs to be clean and quick at least. Dumping that poor bugger in the road to try and pass it off as roadkill...
    :mad:

12. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

Absolutely disgusting! :D That poor badger, must have been in so much pain. :crying:

I can't stand humans sometimes, how anyone can do that to an animal is beyond me. :mad:

RIP little Badger. :(

13. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

14. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I think this is and always has been too far widespread anyway and nobody noticed.

I see too many dead badgers at the side of our roads supposedly hit by cars and yet not a drop of blood in sight.

I think its very sad that the sicko shooting brigade can now laugh at everybody and shoot away and worse to fill their blood lust.

15. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

I cant look at the pic Im sorry, the title has sent me into waves of tears as it is :crying: there are no words for this brutality :crying:

16. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Just adding some things together in my head when it comes to badgers.

This is possibly a bit far fetched, but I remember a plot in the Archers a few years ago where David Archer killed a badger on his property & then dumped it at the side of the road to make it look like an 'accident', but he was spotted by someone who then proceeded to blackmail him.

It's got me wondering how many of these badgers seen at the roadside are actually hit by cars. It's a chilling thought.

And in reference to the 'roadkill' thread in the dog section, I wonder if the badger that disappeared might have been taken away for analysis into cause of death? Would somebody do this?

I have lived in the countryside all my life & seen a lot of wildlife. I've seen badger setts & badger tracks, but the only actual badgers I've seen have been dead at the sides of roads :(

As I said, mind's been in overdrive thinking about it :eek:

17. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I agree totally with you on this. I see plenty live badgers too and unfortunately plenty dead ones.

18. noushka05

Yes common knowledge that farmers shoot them then dump their bodies on the side of roads:mad:

Just look what the ex regional NFU chairman has said in a private convo to someone who if battling with all his might to save our badgers ..

"be under no illusion if a legal cull fails (and sadly some farmers are hoping it might) there will be widespread illegal culling (I've canvassed opinion on this) some (but not all) will end up in court and recon at most they will get 3 months :mad:

Bast@rds! :mad:

simplysardonic likes this.
  19. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Surely it would have been better to capture a badger,or more than 1 and test it for TB rather than kill the poor things,
    I wonder why the one found in the road wasn't tested,
    Horrible to think these poor badgers are running away covered in blood and left to die a painful slow death

20. tinktinktinkerbell

This

Absolutely awful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice