UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took jasmin to the vets to day (moved the appointment)
and she is nearly 5 weeks preg :( he told me that normaly the only time they would spay this late in to the pregnancy was if the moms health was at risk. but he did say that it wasnt good for her as she has a litter already so he would spay if i wanted have to take her back on monday were i can book the spay if i want.

the other bad news is she wont let kittens feed :( she attacks them if they go any were near her. they are eating wet food and lpping kitten milk but still calling to her.

they will be 5 weeks on sunday. is she rejecting them because shes pregnant? is it to early to e with out mom?

·
Mum to 2 cats and a dog
5,743 Posts
At five weeks old, I would say she is rejecting them because it is time for them to feed on their own. If they are lapping milk and eating on their own, they will be fine. Their teeth are hurting her now that's all.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hi

I would firstly keep an eye on the kittens and mum to make sure she seriously doesnt try to hurt them. All mums will get a little fed up with the kittens as they get older and will tell them off sometimes.

Secondly as the kittens are eating and lapping milk you shouldnt be too bad. Just make sure that they are all eating enough, at this age if they not eating a lot of meat I would mix meat with kitten replacement milk as they might find this a bit easier.

also make sure that they are warm enough as they not longer have mums body heat. They should be maintaining their body heat by now but I would but a hottle water bottle in with them just in case.

Fingers crossed they should be fine X

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would say she is not letting them feed as she is pregnant, she may not want them near her tummy, I would be getting her neutered, poor girl :(

At five weeks old, I would say she is rejecting them because it is time for them to feed on their own. If they are lapping milk and eating on their own, they will be fine. Their teeth are hurting her now that's all.
She isnt rejecting them, mums dont just stop feeding they wean their kittens up until 12weeks or over of age, they dont eat on their own at 5 weeks, they may nibble but they still need mum!! Her tummy is sensitve as she is 5 weeks pregnant! I very much doubt she wants a litter of kittens near her :( :(

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kittens are eating no problem and seem to be enjoying the food and milk :D
as they are trying to get to her still and she is having ago - she hit one erlier and the poor thing went rolling along the floor :( - i have taken them out the room, they are not in the living room and will be put in a cat carrier when im out. lexi has surprised me as she doesnt seem to botherd by them when she will normaly try to chase, i wont leave them alone together but was nice to see her lying on the floor with them climbing on her :D (i was right next to her watching her closly) kittens are now curled up asleep in a box next to the fire.

il take them back up to jasmin when i can sit in the room with them so that they can at least be around her. missys kittens are nearly 4 weeks now and have started to move around so hopfully they can all play together soon.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
she was going outside the same day she had the litter and got pregnant again :(

·
Registered
951 Posts
It seems bizarre babies conceived almost same time birth takes place? The womb continues to contract for several days ... Is it even feasible for a queen to come into call while this is happening??

Has she been outside since then?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems bizarre babies conceived almost same time birth takes place? The womb continues to contract for several days ... Is it even feasible for a queen to come into call while this is happening??

Has she been outside since then?
it mite not hve been the same day as vet was a bit unsure on the kitttens age he thinks they are closer to 6weeks not 5 but just going on what i was told ect. she was going out when ever she wanted from the day she had the kittens ect so it could of been any time but vet thinks with in the first week after which i am told is poss altho not common but as i know nothing about cat breeding i dont have a clue :(

·
Registered
951 Posts
Most vets know little about breeding .... I'd say probably nearer 3 weeks pregnant - earliest I have heard of a cat calling is 2 weeks post birth ...... Do you know how old exactly the current kittens are?

I would 100% spey her and abort the kittens - it will hal kill her having another litter so soon and she needs to be speyed asap. Harsh and cold I may sound but IMHO it would be irrespoinsible to let this second pregnancy go ahead.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep all blue some darker then others but still blue

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most vets know little about breeding .... I'd say probably nearer 3 weeks pregnant - earliest I have heard of a cat calling is 2 weeks post birth ...... Do you know how old exactly the current kittens are?

I would 100% spey her and abort the kittens - it will hal kill her having another litter so soon and she needs to be speyed asap. Harsh and cold I may sound but IMHO it would be irrespoinsible to let this second pregnancy go ahead.
have no idea how old they are was told they were 4weks sat just gone so 5 weeks this sat but vet thinks they will be 6 weeks on sat, something to do with teeth?

when we go back to the vets i will book her in dont like doing it but its not fair on her :( the vet did say 6 weeks is the cut of that they will do unless it will kill her or there is a prob with the kittens ect

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Have her spayed, tomorrow preferably. To have two litters in such close succession is really not good for a mum, but really, she shouldn't have been allowed out at all. I'm presuming that you took them on after kittens were bon. Are you still letting her out? What a horrid situation to be in.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have her spayed, tomorrow preferably. To have two litters in such close succession is really not good for a mum, but really, she shouldn't have been allowed out at all. I'm presuming that you took them on after kittens were bon. Are you still letting her out? What a horrid situation to be in.
sadly she cant be fitted in to be spayed till wed :( yeah she has been with me for a few days took them in as the owner was letting her out she has had bck to back litters (this is her 4th) and she is only 2 :( owners were moving so offering her and kittens free. she did get out a few days ago but vet said she was already preg, she hasnt been let out tho (got out an open window) and she wont be let out untill she is spayed.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
earliest I have heard of a cat calling is 2 weeks post birth ......

I've had 2 different girls call at 4 & 6 days after birth, and call every week thereafter.

I too would be speying her, surprised your vet won't fit her in for an emergency spey. Should have been organised the other week when pregnancy was confirmed.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Poor poor cat. Can another Vet spay her sooner if there is another near? I would have thought this would count as a high priority in the circs.

I have never had a queen reject a litter at 5 weeks old. Every litter I have had the queen has been happy to nurse until at least 8 weeks and then gradually weans them off her. At that age a sudden cessation of feeding would cause engorged boobs and pain I would have thought. I would imagine it is connected to the pregnancy.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
although i do not agree with neutering a pregnant cat you have to take in account of how many litters this poor girl has had in her 2 years of life.
if the vet neuters on the flank (not sure if they can with pregnant speys) but if they can then you may find she can carryon feeding her babies.
i do think she is hormonal being pregnant and she still has so much to teach her babies. even if she cant feed them they will learn from her and she can then enjoy playing with her babies again.
wishing you the best of luck at such a hard time. i know you will make the right decision and i must admit its not a choice i would want to make myself.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.