Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bad Hare Day

Discussion in 'Wildlife Gallery' started by AnnB, Apr 8, 2015.

1. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

I confess to having a bit of an obsession with Brown Hares. For the last few years I've been watching and photographing a number of groups of hares in Bucks. This year (so far) I just don't seem to have been in the right place at the right time for a decent photo of them boxing. The following photos have been the best action shots this year but the hares were quite some distance, the weather was grey and miserable and then someone had to go and put a huge telegraph pole in one pic. I shan't give up though, there's always next Spring!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More importantly though, the numbers in all but one of the groups have decreased this year so I hope it isn't a sign that there soon won't be any hares left to watch. Has anyone else noticed a decrease or increase in their local hare population?

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  2. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Our local population in Gloucestershire seems the same as usual, but people have been asked not to talk about more specific locations on line because of the coursing fraternity. If an increase in coursing is also the case in your area then maybe your hares are either suffering from it, have moved to avoid it or are just more nervous than usual?

Lovely pics. The telegraph pole gives a good idea of scale ;)

3. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

No hare coursing in the area these days as far as I'm aware. Some of the hares live near a local dignitary and I've been questioned several times myself by police/security about my presence in the area so I would imagine this would also act as good protection for the hares but they are still in decline.

4. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

Some better pics from last month
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When the bucks are frantically searching out the elusive doe, they can be completely oblivious to my presence as long as I stand still.

5. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Fantastic photos, I love them :thumbup1:
    Aren't you lucky to see them, let alone get so close. I've never seen a wild hare, only lots of bunnies :eek:

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Really fantastic photos thank you for sharing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice