Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bad dog behaviour help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kelli222, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Kelli222

Kelli222 PetForums Newbie

hello all - I have a short haired miniature dachshund who is 6 months old. He has started to eat my other dog (Labradors) poo, and other dogs poo too. I have never had this problem before and was wondering if anyone could suggest what to do?

Thanks!!

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Can't you get your own lab's poo picked up in time? I wouldn't have thought that too difficult.

And walk in places where people pick up after their dogs?

If that's impossible you will need to keep your pup on lead and teach a solid leave it command. When your pup leaves, get in quick with a treat.

We had a prob with one of mine as a pup eating horse poo. He cottoned on to this treat system very fast and used to run up to horse poo and look at us as if to say "if that treat isn't coming soon, I'm eating this!"

We had to walk him a distance away before giving him the treat or the little horror would take the treat and then run back for a mouthful of horse poop!!!

Ian246 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

As tabelmabel says, but be prepared to fail. It’s quite common (I might even say very common) and very hard to stop. With a pup you MIGHT have a chance but I’ve a Labrador-X (Ex army search dog) who we got when he was eight and he was a keen dog poo eater. Despite all my efforts he still does it - and he’s fifteen now (so it’s obviously done him no harm!). I actually find that bellowing at him (he’s deaf now as well) often makes him drop it, but I have to be quick!
    It’s revolting to us, but to your dog it’s a handy snack! Good luck.

4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

I should add that I’ve heard that adding some pineapple juice to the dog food makes the poo unpalatable to other dogs, so you could try some in your Lab’s food. I’ve never tried it myself - I mean putting pineapple juice in dog food....I’ve tried pineapple juice...I’ve not tried dog poo.....oh, you know what I mean!

Tracey3cats likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice