Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bad breeder

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by iblock, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM.

1. iblock

iblock PetForums Newbie

Hi there. I’m new to this forum and I’ve joined because I would like a bit of advice. I’m currently in the process of purchasing 2 kitten that I’ve put deposits on. I saw and advert and checked out the breeders website which was full of glowing reviews. Yet since the start the breeder has altered the price from what was advertised. Has harassed me and my partner both together and separately via text for more money at least 4 times saying they had an emergency on at least 2 of these occasions. I have since found a review on yelp saying they did this to someone else. I have only received one contract for one kitten (which asks for balance 7 days before collecting the cats). Once when they asked for more money they told me if they couldn’t raise more money the cats would be delayed?? I offered to get the cats neutered myself to save her that initial payment to which I never had a response or acknowledgement to. Now they’ve told me the cats are ready at 11wks2days old which I feel is too early for pedigrees, I didn’t think second vaccinations were given til week12? They have also now given me a date to pay which is now actually 9 days before not 7 and apparently I’m not getting the both neutered as agreed (This was never agreed on)?? I have not actually even seen the kittens myself as I originally sent my partner so I’m defo not paying a balance til I’ve met the breeder and the kittens. The breeder is apparently now moving house which also sound dodgy, so all paperwork has been packed away. There has been a lot more incidents but believe it or not this is the short version. They are apparently GCCF registered as I’ve called and checked. I don’t doubt the kittens are pedigree etc and we really want these kittens but at the same time I’m really angry. Havng lost a my cat after 12 years this has turned out to be such an anxious stressful experience and i intend to tell the breeder I’m not willing to pay until I have the cats and paperwork and only sign the contract on collection day. Any advise would be appreciated thank you.

2. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Finding a Pedigree Cat
    Hello iblock. While you wait for someone with more experience to offer advice have a look on the above thread which you'll find on the Cat Chat sticky threads.
    I know very little about breeders personally but your story sets my nerves jangling.

3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@iblock: All sorts of alarm bells ringing here I would say. Maybe she writes her own ''glowing reviews''? If it's on her own website there is nothing to stop her doing that?

It definitely sounds ''off''; there are many people on the forum who will no doubt be along very shortly to help and give advice. Until you get some more replies, I'd say don't part with any more money. Really sorry you are having such a rotten time when you should be just looking forward to getting the kittens. :(

4. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Walk away. This screams of a dodgy breeder. Their emergencies are not your problem, and they shouldn't be adjusting the price once you've reserved a kitten. Nor should they be harassing you for the money.

Kittens can be vaccinated at 8 and 11 weeks, I know many breeders that do this, but kittens should not leave until a minimum of a week after vaccines, and a minimum of 12 weeks

I cna understand your need to get these kittens. If you have evidence, you can report the breeder to GCCF for selling underage kittens. You might need to actually take the kittens though to prove this. Unfortunately you will also have to pay a complaint fee which is about £145, although you would get that back if GCCF determines a result in your favour.

What breed is this? Is the breeder a member of a GCCF-affiliated Cat Club or Society? Often you can complain to them too.

Have you signed a contract yet? Or just received a contract for one? If received, one can assume that the contract will be the same for both, but you are correct in insisting that you need to read and sign both on the day you collect your kitten, once you've been given your registration details and vaccine certs

5. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Someone else was on here a few weeks ago saying the same as you. I wonder if it’s the same breeder. I would be running for the hills, tbh.

cheekyscrip, chillminx and TriTri like this.
  6. iblock

iblock PetForums Newbie

Not signed any contracts yet. Only received one early on for the first kitten. The second kitten which I paid a deposit for the very next day after I still have no contact for. The first kitten is now being sold to me for more money than advertised. When I questioned this they told me this was because it was a certain colour (a different colour than I was originally told) Since then I’ve realise the contract sent before I questioned it states the previous colour they first told me the kitten was. This was also what was said to me in their response to my first enquiry. I am in no doubt I have enough printed information to take this to small claims and win but tbh they have quite a bit of my money already and I don’t want to run the risk of getting it back over years because they’re so bad with money. When I go see the kittens for the first time I fully expect to feel better and I intend to say I won’t be paying a balance until the day I collect the kittens and have seen all paper work. I don’t care what they or their contract says, that’s how it is. I think they’re too greedy to turn my sale away

7. iblock

iblock PetForums Newbie

I would except they have a lot of money already. Half of what I owe

8. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Sadly this just perpetuates their bad practice :(
    Not all dodgy breeders are back-yard breeders and the practices of some so-called registered breeders leave a lot to be desired :(
    None of the things you have described, @iblock, should be happening. You really should be walking away and demanding the return of your deposit.

9. iblock

iblock PetForums Newbie

But I would really like to give these two gorgeous kittens a nice home and it will be a nice home. If they agree to everything I intend to put to them then I’ll only be paying balance on collection with all paperwork. After I fully intend to review the breeder everywhere i can and raise a complaint with the GFFC. I’m also going to approach trading standards. I’m 99% sure if she doesn’t play this right I’ve got enough on to make sure no one else is treated this way. I can’t help wondering how an elderly woman on her own would cope with this cos it’s really not been nice.

10. Rufus15

I agree with Lynn and Sacremist, it is a lot of money but walk away. You're just throwing good money after bad.

No colour is worth more or less than other.

Small claims court won't stop them from breeding, it needs to also be reported to GCCF

Ottery likes this.
  11. Rufus15

Just cross posted with you.

I'm sceptical the breeder will follow your demands as they're already messing you about, but of course it's your choi R is you want to try

12. iblock

iblock PetForums Newbie

Oh it
    Oh it will be don’t worry. I’ve been speaking with the GFFC How can I walk away when the breeder has so much money. I’m not saying how much but I’m not talking £200!

13. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

What breed of cat are they?

14. iblock

iblock PetForums Newbie

Ragdoll

15. iblock

iblock PetForums Newbie

If they don’t comply then I probably will have to walk away and ask for my deposits back. I really think it’ll be more trouble to them than it’s worth cos they’ve picked the wrong person to do it to this time. I won’t let it go. I have so much against them and I have everything printed out. My first call will be to the police, then trading standards, GCCF and small claims court

16. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I would be very concerned about the health of these two kittens. Such unscrupulous dealers have no interest in their health. We have heard many sad stories of poor kittens who became desperately ill soon after purchase and it can cost thousands of pounds for veterinary treatment, which may not be successful.
    Save yourself the heartache of going down the same road.

lorilu and chillminx like this.
  17. Rufus15

Crikey my typing is atrocious at the moment!

I hope you're successful, I really do. I'm not sure you will be but I very much hope you are.

Calvine likes this.
  18. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Please walk away. See it as a learning experience, next time you will know what to look for and expect from a reputable breeder. This is NOT a reputable breeder. But do try asking for your money back. I booked two kittens last year and changed my mind (for a good reason) and the breeder sent my £200 back with no argument.

I have bought a fair few pedigree cats and in terms of money changing hands I'm asked for £100 when viewing and booking them, then I pay the rest when I collect the kitten at 13 weeks. I have never ever been asked to hand over a hunk of money in advance. I haven't even been asked 'nicely', let alone been harassed for money.

I have met registered breeders who do not follow ethical practices. If you buy from them, you are allowing this to continue. But even disregarding that, think just of these kittens. If the breeder is this unscrupulous, it is unlikely they are well bred and healthy. In fact you haven't even seen them yourself, so you haven't personally seen the conditions they have been kept in. You wanted advice and we're all saying the same. It's up to you if you accept it, but if you get these kittens they may find you incur a lot more expense and heartache in future if they have health or behavioural problems. If you don't trust the breeder, don't buy the kittens, ask for your money back.

lorilu, chillminx and lymorelynn like this.
  19. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

Just think of it this way
    You're not saving those two kittens to a nice home (I'm sure you are)
    If you take them, you're just enabling her to breed more and scam more people
    I've had this discussion so many times with people who want to take the last two rats from a pet shop, or the last puppy from a byb
    Not saving
    Enabling
    And rewarding her to boot, by paying for them, the breeder learns nothing other than there's one born every minute and, no matter what they do, say or how manky the animal, there will be someone willing to pay their price
    Walk away
    Swallow the loss
    Not saving
    Enabling

lorilu likes this.
  20. iblock

iblock PetForums Newbie

Fair point but I’m not swallowing the loss! It’s far too much money I’m afraid. How is that going to help. It will just leave her with 2 cats to sell...again plus the money I’ve already paid and once again I’m not talking about just a couple of hundred quid. Sorry I can’t just do that. I’m completely innocent in this. I went to a breeder with a long term GCCF registration, a website full of glowing reviews, some so long and detailed to be fake in my opinion. I looked for names and locations of the reviewers on fb and did actually find one of the previous buyers complete with a picture of the beautiful cat she’d bought so I had no reason to doubt at that time. I’ve just lost my cat of 12 years so this isn’t a regular thing I do so I am defo no expert. As far as the kittens are concerned, my partner visited and saw the mother with the kittens, the kittens were defo not manky, they were happy and appear to be healthy, I’ve no reason to doubt she takes care of them. This is about the way she conducts her business. Not the welfare of the cats. I wouldn’t complete the purchase without all health checks, vaccinations, pedigree and registration card.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice