Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bad breath

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jäger2009, May 24, 2010.

1. Jäger2009

Jäger2009 PetForums Newbie

My 5 month old lab has really bad breath. Smells alittle fishy. I took him to the vet and the doc told me it could be tarter build up on his back teeth. I honestly don't think it's his teeth. We've brushed his teeth daily and bought stuff to freshen his breath at the pet store. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Please help. Thanks

Jäger2009

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi there,What food are you feeding?

3. Jäger2009

I'm feeding him puppy sciencediet

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Im not a vet at all.so cannot really know the problem.However i would suggest you consider changing his food,its not a great food and labs can be very sensitive to foods.(iv 3 labs,and all can be fickle in one way or another!!although they will eat absolutely anything,it isnt always good for them).Have a look around at some other foods,
    Does your dog have loose poos,dry skin/dandruf,dull coat etc?
    Maybe also try a raw marrow bone from your butchers,if it is the teeth,this may help,and its good for them too :)

5. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Most research I''ve done into dog foods suggests bad breath is food related.

Do you give him raw meaty bones to clean his teath? Danta chews and such do sod all for their teeth. Raw meaty bones will clean his teeth much better than you can as that's how they naturally clean their teeth.

6. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

I'm willing to bet that it's the food you're feeding him. My 5 month lab has the same problem and it doesn't bother me too much as he's very healthy and does so well on the food I'm giving him.

Check the ingredients on the bag (or give the food a sniff). I think Hill's Science Diet have quite a few varieties but usually dry kibble will have essential oils in there to help give your pup a healthy 'shine'. That can cause the fishy breath. We got a free sample bag of that stuff from the vet and I took one whiff of it and decided not to give it to my boy as it was very fishy and oily looking.

I thought about switching mine to a different food (he's on Arden Grange) because of his smelly breath but it seems like such a trivial thing. Try not to let it get to you too much but if you must switch, remember to go for a good quality food! Perhaps not Arden Grange as not only does their feed have fish oils, it also has fish meal in it. :D

Honestly, try to give him the best when he's young and still growing, even if it gives him bad breath. After that you can switch to an adult feed that perhaps doesn't have the fish oils and substitute it with your own essential oil capsules. Problem solved for life!

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I think I've heard somewhere that Fishy breath is a sign the anal glands need emptying. Chicken wings are great, clean the teeth on the way in and anal glands on the way out. Not sure if a lab would bolt them and not chew tho.

I'm not keen on Hills Science. Because of the name I bought their treat biscuits without looking at the ingredients. Couldnt believe it when I got home - they have derivatives in them. Their tuna cat food - main ingredients chicken and turkey????with a minimal amount of tuna way down the list???
    But that's just my opinion :lol:

Hope you find out what is causing his fishy breath :thumbup:

8. Jäger2009

Thank you very much all for your advise. Changed his food and his breath seems to smell less fishy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice