Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

backyard dogs - So what's the problem?...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by leashedForLife, Apr 28, 2011.

1. leashedForLife

2. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I don't leave mine outside when I'm not home. In the morning they have their kennel area and after poo time ...lol... they get the big back yard. Out of 5 dogs i have 1 barker and its not the Sheltie...lol its one of the Collies...Much prefer them to be indoors when I'm not home its safer and cooler in the summer and hotter in the winter. Enjoyed the article Thanks Terry

3. leashedForLife

yup, Jill, outdoors is not necessarily kind - what with heat, cold, mozzies, fleas, wildlife, and so on -
    but it's not SAFE in many cases, since people can & do harass or assault dogs who are outside, where they are unable
    to avoid nasty people.
    dogs here have been stoned, teased, shot with pellets, arrows, bullets, DARTS!, beaten, stabbed, & poisoned -
    all while in their own yards, all within the past 10-years.

that's without even worrying about the bad behaviors that bored or lonely dogs can get up to,
    out in the yard - digging, barking by the hour, & escaping are probly the top 3.
    OWNERS bitch about digging, chewing & escaping; NEIGhBORS #1 bitch is, as always, barking.

outdoors is great for play, exercise, enrichment, sun, soaking in a kiddy pool, etc - but indoors is climate controlled,
    no parasites, no nasty kids to throw rocks or tease, no nutcase with a rifle, ... much better. :thumbup:

4. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Oh that was really interesting :eek:

Do you know why it's more common for dogs to be out in Texas? Is there anything about how it compares to the UK anywhere?

Em
    xx

5. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Your right Terry, one of my neighbours barely saved his Min Pin from a Great Horned Owl a couple of years ago, Thankfully for them these great Birds finally moved locations they had taken residence in one of their dead trees and once it was gone so were they. But they were beautiful...

6. leashedForLife

all of the Southern states are prone to worse-standards of care than the Northern ones.
    fewer dogs are S/N, roaming dogs are more common, unplanned litters are common, more pups are euthed
    in shelters because there is such a glut that even babies cannot find homes, etc.

so yes, there are more outside dogs, too - and fewer are treated to prevent heartworm, more dogs have fleas,
    and so on. Tidewater crud here in VA is a local nickname for an ugly, crusty, balding mess on a dog's rump,
    it's what happens when fleas chronically irritate the area above the tail-head & the dog chews & scratches.
    then secondary bacterial infections move in on the broken, irritated skin...
    Flea Allergy Dermatitis in Dogs

7. leashedForLife

aw - shame they took the snag down. unless it presents a hazard, i try to persuade people to leave them -
    dead trees actually serve many purposes. they feed grubs, they provide nesting space for cavity nesters,
    hawks love them as perches for hunting or sunning...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice