Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Backs....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by momentofmadness, Mar 24, 2011.

1. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Yes i want to talk about backs.. :) or in my case.. :(

So Im only young.. :) but I have been having trouble again.. Its not the feeling of a trapped nerve.. Or a muscular pulled pain or a spasm.. :(

Ive had all of them over the years..
    Its kind of lower back you know if you put your hands either side of you waste and feel the bones in the back either side of your spine (i think pelvis).. Its there.. The feeling in the morn is as if I step to hard it hurts and may shatter.. :(

Now sat here Im leaning forward as stretching it sort of helps.. :( When I go to bed I need to have my legs forward so it doesn't ache... or curl up so my back is kinda stretched.. Cause if I lie straight it hurts.. :(

Now years ago i had physio.. the guy flipped me everywhere and cracked all my back giving it a good hiding and the relief was excellent..

I went for more physio the other year and they gave me exercises apparently they dont do all this crack backing anymore..
    Is this true?
    I do feel if someone was to stand on my back in the correct place my prob could be solved for a bit.. :)

So peeps any advice, cause diclofenac and co codemol seems to be masking it then when they where off its back.. :(

I do need some help but have lost faith in the doctors after being sent for physio and been given exercises.. Muscular my back is sound.. I have good muscles there..

Many thanks.. :)

2. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

Have you tried a massage? my mums friend had neck pains etc and her friend is a trained massuge (sp?) and she said after she felt amazing

i may be way off track here though haha

3. Wots up you worn the soap out?:eek:

4. momentofmadness

Now my eldest is a sports therapist.. But out of action.. she is waiting for her hip to be replaced at 42.. :eek:

Is that not for muscular.. I need it manipulating Im sure.. But I may ask my sis if I feed her some tramadol will she have ago..

You know if parents were health tested.. me my brothers and sisters.. I reckon wouldn't be here.. :eek:

5. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

I'm not to sure :blink: They might be able to manipulate it somehow ... haha bless :p

6. momentofmadness

Ooops I meant my eldest sister.. Looks like my eldest child.. Gawd Im not inme 60-60's.. haha

7. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

I think you're referring to the sacro-ileac joints. Put your hands on your hips, and it's half way between your hands and your spinal column?

I have problems with my spine, have had them since I was nursing when I was 19. I had 3 discs out prior to my last surgery, only two remain now since one was removed and the vertebrae fused.

I find the therma-wraps help, the type you can velcro on and the front (a bit like a nappy!), the heat is long lasting and relaxes the muscles in that area. These joints can fail, if you've had long back troubles, such as I've had. I've also been warned my hips will conk out before too long, since I've had bad posture and such for so long now........it was 4 years from my back first going wrong to getting anyone to even x ray it! Didn't help at all, because by then two other discs had gone due to the pressure it was all under.

You can get an osteopath to do manipulation, but I think physio's tend to steer clear now for some reason. But to be honest, there's nothing to be manipulated back in to place in this section of the spine, so it may not help. Pillows under the knees when you lie down, or between your legs on your side will help keep your spine straight. And always, always bend with your knees, never at your waist!

8. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

I get alot of back pain, i had an mri scan but that showed nothing, some nights i can wake up in pain, problem is you dont tend to get a lot of sympothy:(

9. momentofmadness

Yep thats it.. Thats exactly the spot.. its the right side more than the left. :(

Ive ridden some of the worst bucking bronking horses over many years.. so my back has taken some pure bangs,, :( You dont think about the long term damage your doing.. :(
    Heat doesn't really make a difference.. Bet I get ya with the pillows I put one between my knees anyway after an accident when I was 17 then I had an op a year and half ago now on my knee. Went sleep last night with my knees up.. :( gonna get some more pillows..
    Ive kinda given up with doctors,, just fob you off ive never had it xrayed and I have had trouble, real trouble since ive been about 24..

So an osteopath is the person to see.. will they xray it before treatment. and I guess this all costs a fortune.. But then again.. Id spend it on my dogs so why do I grumble about spending it on me.. :(

10. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

My osteopath manipulates my back, he's amazing.

I'm young but had a car accident a few years ago, and nursing has buggered my back. I see my osteo every 6weeks and he puts me right, when it comes up to 6weeks again I know as I start to get pain again. Pilates and yoga are also really good as if you strengthen your core muscles then you're not relying on your spine to hold you up.

So, I say get thee to a good osteopath!!

11. momentofmadness

I dont want sympathy bullet.. I want it sorted..:(

I did a bit of gardening friday.. I dug up 2 trees.. took me hours then dragged them out of the holes.. I was ok sat.. sun a bit sore and mon.. pain.. not muscular though.. My muscles felt fine.. some times I feel a click in this part of my back..

12. momentofmadness

How much is a good one.. I could still move around the yard ton bales of haylage on my own a few years ago. so muscular im sound.. :)

13. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

Years of hod carrying on building sites has knackered mine, lifting on one shoulder, not recomended:(

14. momentofmadness

When you are younger you don't think about the trouble you are causing yourself in years to come.. If I had known I wouldn't have got on all those dodgy horses for people.. :(

I should have known My dad had the nerves in his back deadened.. what ever they do with them.. and you have to be awake when they do it..:eek: and then my mum has the prob with her spine.. :(

15. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

have you tried a chairoprachter? i have arthritis right through my body epsecially my back- rubbish aint it x

16. Gilly and Jess

That's probably your problem then, you've done far too much and you're paying for it now. Funny how we all think we're perfectly capable of doing these things until a couple of days later and wham, we're suffering.

Pillows under your knees will remove the old spinal curve AWAY from the mattress when you're in bed. If you were to put your hands under your low back when you lie flat in bed, then put your legs down straight, you'd feel your low back move AWAY from the mattress, which isn't good for the posture and you'll wake cranky. Pillows under the knees will stop that from happening, and ensure spinal alignment.

Lying on your side, your top leg will inevitably slide off your bottom leg, thus pulling your spine into a wonky position which again will lead to your waking cranky. Pillows help as above, and also to prevent your legs sliding in the first place. Takes some getting used to, sleeping with a pillow between your legs, but hell, if it helps....

Do you roll over in bed or do you lift yourself round? Bet you've never focussed on which way you do it? Rolling over is kinder to yourself, if you're on your back, grab the sheet and pull to get on your side, if you're on your side, push onto your back and then grab and pull.

And how do you get OUT of bed? Do you stick a leg out and pull up at the same time? The number of times I did that in the past and never got out of bed for a week! Lordy! Lie on your side, bring both legs up to 90 degress with your body, over the side of the bed then push your upper body up til you're upright.

Sadly osteopaths are expensive, but they're worth their wait in solid gold in my book. My dad took me to one when my back first ever went. The hospital laughed at me and said I couldn't have a back problem, I was only 19, I couldn't walk for gods sake. My GP told me to stay in bed, (a) the worst thing you can actually do, it locks up even more and (b) I was nurse training and I couldn't afford 6 weeks off! I was screaming in pain and walking like I'd done something in my underwear!

Dad took me to an osteopath and they helped enormously. Didn't cure the problem, but it sure got me back on my feet. Lush feeling when they twist you in all directions and all you can feel is popping!! :D

17. momentofmadness

Ok so I do the pillow thing inbetween my knees.. My mums horse trampled my leg when I was 17 so I couldn't let my legs touch as hurt.. and at 35 I still do it.. Yep I understand about lying flat and your back does lift when your straighten your legs. Im glad im not alone here..
    I am a light sleeper.. I dont turn over in my sleep and usually due to my back aching.. I wake sit up turn over lie back down.. Ive been conscious of sdoing this for years. And have never known why.. But possibly cause the aching is waking me and I need to shift..

I don't know how I get out of bed.. I think I slide across the bed.. I have had times where I have had to kind of roll onto my knees to get out.. :(

So maybe I am going to have to look into an osteopath.. :(

My back went completely at begin of 2008.. and then one joint after another down my right side.. I had loads of tests no xrays though and 8 months later was fine.. they said it was a viral infection attacking my right side..
    And yes a strange limp walk I can relate to.. i look like I have been in the saddle for a week sometimes with no rest.. :(

18. bird

bird PetForums VIP

A couple of things I do

Stand tall, then bend just from the waist, and kind of bounce. Stretching the back out sometimes helps pull it all back into place, (although not always).

The other thing, when you've got 10 mins or so to yourself, get 6 pillows (swipe em off other beds). Put three at your head in a V shape, so the bottom of the V is in the nape of your neck. A pillow under your knees and one each under your elbows to support your arms. This helps take the pressure off your spine for a while. Then just lie there and relax. ;)

19. Gilly and Jess

I've seen me in some funny old shapes just to get out of the chair over the years, I've even had to be lifted off the toilet with me trousers round me ankles because I've passed out with the excruciating pain........god, that was embarassing, I'd twisted myself lifting my son out of his baby walker and bingo, screaming pain down the back of my legs and I couldn't move. I had to have valium injections that night, I was vomiting with pain and shaking like a leaf with shock from it!

You'd have to google osteopaths in your area, but I'd reckon on about £50 a session.

Thing is, if it's this area you've got problems with, it won't be disc related, or sciatic nerve related. Which means it isn't spinal, it's more likely to be muscular or arthritic. If you looked at a skeleton of the body from behind, you'd see that area is all bone, butterfly shaped at the bottom of the spine and the outer edges become the hip joints. I have had a course of injections into those areas in the last two years, they helped a little, they help some more than others, so it's worth asking your GP for a referral to a pain management clinic at your local hospital, they'd take care of all that sort of stuff.

20. momentofmadness

I just did that floating in the bath.. and it was there I thought I would ask on here.. :lol:

I do feel if I was stretched.. it may help.. :) sounds odd I know..

I had cortisone shots in my joints the other year.. but not my back .. they have a quick anaesthetic that lasts about 12 to 24 hours then takes several days to really take effect.. :) My elbow that had seized up..or I had seized it up mentally through the pain.. it felt great afterwards.. :)

I guess im just gonna have to bite the bullet and go through the procedures that take for ever.. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice