Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Back2Nature Bedding and Litter for Small Animals

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sammy2020, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Sammy2020

Sammy2020 PetForums Newbie

Hi, my pet bunny recently died and I have a very large back of Back2Nature Bedding and Litter for Small Animals, is this safe to use for kittens/cats?
    Any help would be much appreciated. Sam

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :)

You mean use it as bedding for cats/kittens, not as litter?

I have just looked it up as I was concerned it may be scented or contain chemicals, but apparently it does not, so OK from that POV.

Are these feral cats, or farm cats, or stray cats & kittens you are referring to? And you have outdoor shelters or barns for them? If so I think the bedding would be OK for them, I have known of people putting straw in outdoor cat shelters for feral cats, and I assume this bedding is similar to straw...

If you are talking about cats who have a home then the bedding would not really be suitable, as it would get spread everywhere on the cats' feet.

3. Sammy2020

Hi thanks very much for your reply. I have a 30 litre bag of it so was going to use as litter only for my two rescue kittens. I think it should be okay, what do you think?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It depends what the kittens have been using up until now as litter. It is never a great idea to change the type of litter to something very different if the kittens are getting on fine with the one they have. It can cause them confusion and could lead to tray avoidance.

I imagine the Back2Nature is not a clumping litter so it means you'd really need to empty the trays out completely every day and refill with fresh. Because it will be difficult to see which parts of the tray are wet.

I assume you provide at least 3 litter trays for your 2 kittens, so you could try putting the Back2Nature in one of their trays and see if they will use it.

5. Sammy2020

Hi that's a great idea. I will also check with the RSPCA as that's where I am getting them from.
    Many thanks for your help

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Ah I see, they are not with you yet. Most Shelters use the non-clumping wood pellet litters because they are very cheap to buy. I would use the same litter for the kittens when they arrive. It is not a good time to change the type of litter, they will already be going through enough upheaval with a change of environment.

It is always best to use the same type of litter, and feed the same make of foods until the kittens have been with you a few weeks, and then whatever changes you want to make, make them slowly and only make one at a time.

Two trays may be enough for 2 kittens, but I always provide 4 trays for 2 cats. They will need a minimum of 3 trays by the time they are adults. Open trays are best. Kittens and cats will happily share litter trays with their feline housemates, but cats all like to do their pees and poos in different places.

7. Sammy2020

That's really helpful thank you.
    I can't wait for them to come and live with me :eek:)
    Sam

chillminx likes this.
  8. Sammy2020

that was supposed to be a smiley face? Don't know what went wrong there, lol

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice