UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends 10 year old active Collie X spayed bitch has had a back problem for 9 months now. The vet has been treating her with Metacam and restricted exercise (lead only walks). Recent x.rays have revealed no problem and other than ruling out Arthritis and a few other things she is no nearer getting a diagnosis or treatment. The Vet has said that it is possible that it is a prolapsed disc and an MRI would be the next step if my friend wanted to take it.
Unfortunately following her x.ray the dog has been slightly worse even with medication.
The first question my friend has, before subjecting her dog to another GA is what the chances are of finding something that can be put right without having major spinal surgery or whether it is kinder to just continue to treat her conservatively on pain killers so what are other peoples experiences?
The 2nd question is whether a McTimoney Chiropractor is likely to be able to help if she could get a referral from the vet. Her reservations here are that her dog is very highly strung and can be a bit snappy and easily stressed so she is unsure of whether it would therefore be possible or beneficial. Were she to go down that route would the Practitioner want her to have had the MRI first? Again what are others experiences.
If it were one of my dogs I would be inclined to get the MRI done in the hope of getting a better idea of what we’re dealing with and whether or not there was something that could be done and also find out more about what McTimoney Chiropractors can do but never having had a dog in this position I wonder what anyone else’s experiences are with this so that she can weigh up the pro’s and con’s.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
I used a chiropractor for one of my dogs recently. I'd noticed he seemed tense in the back and wasnt moving with as much ease as usual and it's also something the hydrotherapist picked up on (without me mentioning anything) so I booked him in with the chiropractor.

I'd say a chiropractor would be a safer option to try first. My own personal view is that I would start with simpler solutions and if those didnt work, move towards the more complicated solutions. So for me, it would be chiropractor then MRI.

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
There are various options you can try, my dogs see a McTmoney Chiro every quarter to maintain good health.

Here are some professional bodies where you can find practitioners local to you.

Acupuncture

ABVA

Bowen Technique

Bowen Technique Therapy Therapists Treatment UK - Tennis/golfer's elbow, Poor mobility (multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, surgery)

Hydrotherapy

Find a Registered Canine Hydrotherapist or Hydrotherapy Centre

Massage

holistic dog care | natural dog care | canine massage therapy centre

McTimoney Chiropractic

McTimoney Animal Association

McTimoney Corley

The Association of McTimoney-Corley Spinal Therapists

Osteopathy

The Society of Osteopaths in Animal Practice

Physiotherapy

Home

·
Registered
856 Posts
I highly recommend trying a McTimony chiropractor :)

My old girl has regular acupuncture and vet suggested we see a McTimony chiropractor as he felt something in her back was not quite straight. A few sessions with Rachael worked wonders and Kc seems to benefit from acupuncture even more now :thumbsup:

Also Buddy was lame in front, vet wanted MRI done. McTimony found loads of tense sore muscles in neck and back! A few sessions on he is coming good, slowly but surely :)

If the dog has issues, I would find a McTimony and explain, they take full veterinary history on first visit before touching of anyway, but maybe a chat on the phone to ensure they are happy to come and assess.

Hope she gets sorted :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for replies so far. A McTimoney Chiropractor looks to be what everyone is recommending. I shall pass on all your comments but welcome any more thoughts or experiences.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used a McTimoney Chiropractor on all my animals with great success over the years - not to mention myself!

If you are looking for a chiropractor which I have found to be the most effective, the website to go to is What is McTimoney Chiropractic

They have a search facility on here so you can find a chiropractor near to you or call their office - 01491 829211.

Best of luck with your pup!

·
Registered
3,289 Posts

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
I would also avoid going to the hospital especially as the following can happen

You can die
You can contract MRSA
You can contract legionnaire's disease
You can contract various other diseases
You can have the wrong limb/organ removed
You can die from dehydration

The list goes on.

Nothing in life is risk free........... ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a McTimoney Chiropractor (animal and human) and vet I have known of no animals that have been made worse by this therapy. I have heard of many improving. I feel I have failed if the treatment does not get a marked improvement.

It is not magic although the responses often appear that way.
The McTimoney animal course is science-based and not an easy option. The practitioners that I have met (McTimoney and MeTimoney-Corley) have all been hardworking, ethical, caring and animal orientated. They are registered and are responsible people.

I am only excluding techniques such as Bowen as I am not qualified to comment.

I would always suggest the chiropractic route before more invasive therapies.

AlanS

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a McTimoney Chiropractor (animal and human) and vet I have known of no animals that have been made worse by this therapy. I have heard of many improving. I feel I have failed if the treatment does not get a marked improvement.

It is not magic although the responses often appear that way.
The McTimoney animal course is science-based and not an easy option. The practitioners that I have met (McTimoney and MeTimoney-Corley) have all been hardworking, ethical, caring and animal orientated. They are registered and are responsible people.

I am only excluding techniques such as Bowen as I am not qualified to comment.

I would always suggest the chiropractic route before more invasive therapies.

AlanS
Thank you so much for this. Your comments are very reassuring. My friend has now contacted a Mctimoney Practioner and hoping that she may be able to help.

·
Still missing my boys
42,318 Posts
Oh my goodness! More magic cures :(

Science-Based Medicine » Chiropractic – A Brief Overview, Part I

I can give many, many more evidence based links. Personally, I would not subject my dogs to any non proven or disproven treatments. especially one which is KNOWN to have caused paralysis and strokes.

What's the harm in going to a chiropractor?
I was as skeptical as anyone could be about chiropractic practices. However when my back had been in periodical agony for over 2 years and my doctor did nothing, and several people had reported good results after seeing a chiropractor. I decided to give it a go.
Went in and it was explained to me, I inwardly scoffed, couldn't believe something so simple could do anything.
Two sessions later my back felt right, and has been right ever since, 7 years on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.