UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Back injury and dog walking

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  shirleystarr 
#1 ·
I suffer from recurrant lower back/hip pain and sciatica and am currently experiencing the first flare up since we got Cara. I was wondering if anyone has found a walking belt to be of any help when trying to walk a dog with a back injury. Also does anyone have any experience of walking dogs whilst using a walking aid such as a stick or crutch? Currently I'm finding it very dificult to move about the house but I normlly do the lion's share of Cara's walking and training as OH works full time, so I need to be back in action ASAP which will more than likely involve some kind of aid.

#4 ·
#5 ·
TBH I tend to just walk through it and suffer the pain, I advise good strong pain meds, depending on what your back problem is, it can help rather than hinder being mobile.

If your having nerve pain I would ask your GP for some Gabepentin which is normally used for epilepsy but also works wonders for killing nerve pain ;)

I find a belt causes me more discomfort and I am more wary of being jolted..

#6 ·
I'm really limited with what medication I can take as I have a few health problems and I already take a lot of medication, so I'm having to make do with paracetamol, codeine and my TENS machine. I do stay active normally, and was getting on okay for the past few weeks, but something "popped" in my back this morning and I'm not able to support my full weight at the moment. Will probably try to see my GP if I can tomorrow, I think she's most likely to refer me to physio than anything else though.

#7 ·
Ow, I feel for you

I second the indi dog walking belt too, you can even have leg straps on it if you want (although I dont know if that would be difficult for you to get into)

Walking Belt

#8 ·
I'm really limited with what medication I can take as I have a few health problems and I already take a lot of medication, so I'm having to make do with paracetamol, codeine and my TENS machine. I do stay active normally, and was getting on okay for the past few weeks, but something "popped" in my back this morning and I'm not able to support my full weight at the moment. Will probably try to see my GP if I can tomorrow, I think she's most likely to refer me to physio than anything else though.
Push them to send you for a MRI scan :)

#9 ·
Being a back pain sufferer myself, I fully sympathise with you.
I'd suggest speaking to your GP first before trying anything like a walking belt. Until you know what the problem is anyway. Be careful, you could do yourself more harm if there is a problem with joint, disc or even a nerve impingement in your spine.
When I first had back problems, I went to see a chiropracter before I went to my GP. At my first assessment with the chiropracter, before doing any sort of treatment he referred me immediately for x-rays to see if there was any damage to my spine. There was ! Significant degeneration of my lumbar facet joints and both sacroiliac joints, (osteoarthritis), plus loss of disc space between several vertebrae (degenerative disc disease - discs don't show on x-ray but loss of disc space does. A later MRI scan showed several discs were damaged and one was severely prolapsed & crushing my sciatic nerve).
I tried to keep going "as normal", even knowing about the damage to my spine, but now live in constant pain and no longer able to work.
Is there anywhere nearby where you could walk your dogs safely off lead....rather than risk any permanent damage to your spine before you can have an MRI scan or x-ray ?
My x-ray, done privately, cost only £60.
Wishing you well and hoping its just a trapped nerve and an easy fix.

#10 ·
I don't think its anything serious, Ive had it many times before. Last time my physio said that the sciatia was from spinal stenosis (narrowing of the channel where the spinal cord is) due to excessive curvature in my lower spine which is because of muscle weakness. I have seen a GP but it wasn't the one I normally see, and he seemed pretty incompetant really, but I did manage to persuade him to give me some tramadol and refer me to physio as it's most likely muscular.

#11 ·
Another back sufferer waiting or got lost in the NHS waiting for surgery. I find that unless it's too awful, I walk it off. I find that a mighty long ball thrower is great as I can still entertain Molly. I don't use a belt as my GP advised against it although I have to say I did like it but I have a collapsible walking stick so when I get warmed up I can fold it away.

I have found Pilates a massive help.

#12 ·
walking belt puts the strain on your lower back and hips I know I have the same problem and the belt just made it worse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.