Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Back from vet

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Took the cats to the vet.

Casper and Chloe are full of flea droppings! Luckily he didn't spot any live fleas. Strangely, the mother cat hasn't even got the droppings.

The vet just sprayed with frontline but we can't give them anything stronger because they are so young.

We could get them vaccinated at 9 weeks but there's not much point if they have already got the illnesses that they are being vaccinated for!

Option A) Vaccinate them all regardless and hope for the best

Option B) Test mother for peace of mind and vaccinate if they are ok.

This could work out cheaper or more expensive depending on the outcome of the tests.

Will speak to hubby tonight as they both sound like good options. What do you think?

Kori

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Test for what?

If Mum has not been vaccinated why can't the vet vaccinate her? Did the vet worm her? When did he say she could be spayed?

3. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

He wormed Molly and gave me some panacur so I can worm the kittens at home. I have to wait because they have already been wormed by the previous owner the week starting 3 Aug. She showed me her panacur and told me how to do it over a course of three days.

The vaccinations would be for FIV and something else I can't remember the name of. It wouldn't cover feline leukaemia but he said they wouldn't need that so much as they were going to be kept in overnight when cats fight the most. We are planning to keep them as indoor cats.

If the mother already has FIV then the kittens will have it. She may or may not have been vaccinated.

4. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

If they have dropping but no fleas whats that got to do with getting they jabs done ??? I am loss

Kittens can have they jabs at 9 wks fleas or no fleas you just treat the fleas with frontline spot on

5. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

its not the fleas that are stoppin the jabs its the fact that kori isnt sure if the mother has been vaccinated and therefore may have fiv and the other illness that the jab would treat her for.

can the kittens and mam be treated if it does turn out that they have these illness?
    if the vaccination is not harmful to them if they already have an illness then id be tempted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and vaccinate them. jst means if the tests come back clear they have already been done.

6. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Sorry I should have been more clear in my post. The flea droppings have nothing to do with whether or not they get vaccinated or not.

I picked up my 3 cats yesterday. Molly is the mummy of Chloe and Casper. I phoned the vet this morning to register Molly with the vets and they found that she was already on the system with her previous owner. However, it appeared that Molly had never actually been taken to the vet.

The previous own got her from a friend so it's possible she's had jabs as a kitten but no boosters. In this case, the vet wants to treat it as if she's never been vaccinated and start again from scratch.

However, the litter that Chloe and Casper came from is Molly's 4th litter. That means that Molly's been out and about and could already have contracted FIV. If she has already got it then so will the kittens.

Hope this clears it up. I've kind of spread it out over different posts!

7. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Can they not be vaccinated if they have FIV then? Also if they have then they'll have to be indoor only cats,

8. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

good luck with whatever you decide

9. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

You have made a very good point. Although they CAN be vaccinated if they have FIV the vaccine wouldn't make any difference and would be a waste of money.

However, as a responsible cat owner it would be good to know if she had it because then I'd definitely keep them all indoors.

Thank you!

10. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

But why not give them the vaccination as it also protects against other illnesses

11. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

I am hoping the test will come back negative so we'd probably give the vaccinations anyway.

12. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

The kittens are very unlikely to have FIV so do not panic too much!

Most cases of FIV are spred through fighting rather then mating and is much more commen in males then females.

Plus most kittens born with FIV do not survive very long and are very poorly kittens from day one so it would be quite obvious.

FELV is another matter all together.
    This could well be present but can be tested for.

Do not waste money testing the kittens as the results are very inacurrate.
    You just need to test mum.

Regardless of the result you should vaccinate them all as they vaccinations cover many illnesses some of which are deadly so it's quite important.

Good luck with them

13. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Im sure I read somewhere that if a cat has been innoculated against FIV then it will test positive afterwards?

14. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi Kori

This is a toughy but what I would do in your situation is get Molly tested. When you know exactly what you are situated with then you will be able to make your mind up over what vaccinations you need for Chloe and Casper. There are a couple of options over which vaccinations you give, I can't remember which one, as all the medical names go over my head, but there is an illness that isn't absolutely necessary to vaccinate against now as it is very rare and has almost been irradicated. There isn't much point paying for vaccinations against something they may already have so I think it will be best to wait. It's not like you are letting them out and putting other cats at risk so take your time and do what is best for the kittens. After reading about the kitten that died after vaccinations on this forum I think it would be better to only get them done if absolutely necessary. I think the fleas and worms are the least of your worries at the moment but that should be sorted soon if you now have the treatments for it. When I collected Ted and Dusty from CP they had fleas, worms and ear mites, then Ted got Cat Flu so I know how daunting it is. But chin up you are doing a great job!

Sharon
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice