Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby's cat breed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Minximoo24, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Minximoo24

Minximoo24 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm new here so my apologizes if I ask is in the wrong thread. I However, I got my kitten Baby a year ago for free on Craigslist. I thought she is a regular tabby but I noticed spots as she grew and I had no idea cats could have spots. Lol

So I've been looking online to see if she is a spotted tabby or a different breed. Your help would be wonderful.

Thank you! :) 20210130_101314.jpg 20210130_100140.jpg 20210130_100048.jpg 20210130_095939.jpg

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Minximoo24

Hi,
    She is a pretty girl and I love her spots❄️
    I think she is what is called a broken mackerel tabby, meaning the stripes are broken (not continuous) leaving spots vs stripes. She could be a spotted tabby though maybe someone else will chime in.

Some cat breeds have been purposely bred to have spots, in some cases they have spots like your girl but I would guess your girl is a domestic short hair. Tabbies are a pattern and can occur in several domestic cat breeds or non breed domestic cats.

3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

There are three different tabby patterns, Ticked (as in a rabbit pattern,) Mackerel (stripes,) and Classic or blotched (a darker pattern with a circle or oyster on the side.) The ticked pattern is considered to be a different gene but mackerel and classic are modifications at the same locus. In pedigree breeds a variety of the latter two types (spotted,) has been developed as a separate pattern. It is worth remembering that patterns must have emerged as camouflage originally so they will be present in the random bred population but those patterns are likely to less distinct. A well marked classic tabby, for example, would hardly hide a cat in most situations.

Your cat is a mackerel based spotted tabby domestic shorthair but the spots are not very distinct. The spots are a variation of the mackerel pattern because they are in lines not swirls. This is an oriental spotted tabby I bred many years ago (1993!)
    Rondo.jpg

ebonycat and chillminx like this.
  4. Minximoo24

Wow thank you both gor your help and insight. I feel so much better know, even though I still love her the same!

5. Minximoo24

Also QOTN, you baby is beautiful! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice