Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby wild birds...leave them alone

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Jun 24, 2010.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I know this is general chat but i felt it is the best place for this advice.Over the past few days i've seen people asking advice on what to do with wild baby birds.The advice from the RSPB is to leave them alone.If the young bird is unfeathered or covered in fluffy down (a nestling) and has obviously fallen out of a nest by accident, it may be possible to put it back.

If this can't be done, the chick is dependent on humans for survival, and it should be passed on to an expert rehabilitator, such as a local vet.

The RSPB: Advice: Baby birds

danielled likes this.
  2. danielled

danielled Guest

Great post Janice agree totally.:thumbup:

3. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Just this morning we came across a young Jay. Alf alerted me to it, and I was very impressed with him. I assumed the chirping I heard was in the tree but it was in the nettles at the base. :scared: Alf came running back to me, jumped at me then ran back to where the bird was. I was amazed he never tried to pick it up (he caught a wood pidgeon the other wk). I scooped it up and put it on the highest branch of the tree that it was under. :thumbup:

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Isn't it good how dogs seem to know what to leave alone? A couple of days ago i was watching Kai and Mia just outside the pation doors.Now watching their behaviour i thought they were after a spider or worse still a wasp or bee.But no,when i looked i couldn't see a thing.I went out of the front door and right up against the back gate(which they were the other side of) was a baby starling.The mum was going mental on top of my neighbours roof.:D

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I agree with most of what you said apart from the bolded bit. I have seen a fair few baby bird leave the nest prematurely, and the parents have still fed them until they are big enough to feed themselves.

I believe the only time you should pick up any bird (baby or otherwise) is if it is injured, or in mortal danger ... danger that you can't prevent, like keeping your cats locked in the house.

Why did you do that :confused: You should have just left it alone.

#5 Aurelia, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Because as I was walking away from it it started to follow us and a couple of jack russells came round the corner, so it would have def been curtains for the bird. ;)

7. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Sorry Janice, of course the bolded bit I quoted was already bold so it didn't show :lol: Corrected it now.

9. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

What a smart boy, animals are amazing the intuition they have :)

10. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

LOL no problem..:D:D

11. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I had to rescue one from a cat in my next door neighbours garden. I was hanging my washing out one morning and then I heard all this fuss and a bird was going crazy chirping. I saw a magpie fly off and thought it must be responsible but the bird carried on and was very distressed. I then noticed this horrible cat that lives a few doors away and it had something. I tried to scare it off but it went behind a bush. I decided that whatever it had would be dead by now but about five minutes longer and the bird was still going crazy and was only inches away from the cat itself so decided I would have to go and look as it would be next.:(

I went in my neighbours back garden via the side gate and the cat must have run off but I could see a baby bird - think it may have been a thrush. Both it's parents were flying around and making the noise still and I knew if I just left it there the cat would be back for it. It didn't seem to be injured at all and so I put it on the roof of my neighbours shed and went away and watched from a distance. Then I decided that a magpie might get it there so I got it again and put it on some bushes at the back of the garden and the parents both stopped then so hopefully the bird survived.

The same cat was in our shed a few months ago trying to get at my guinea pigs and my o/h had to make a door with mesh to stop the damn thing getting in, so that my piggies can have the shed door open in the day. The cat was then after the squirrels a week or two back. If I see it now I get a cup of water and throw it at it and send the dogs out in the garden cos it's a bloody nuisance.:mad: Never had any trouble with any of the other cats in the neighbourhood and there is one right next door the other way to me too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice