Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby teeth extraction?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LauraJane9, Oct 29, 2012.

1. LauraJane9

LauraJane9 PetForums Senior

Hi guys, Sully is being neutered on Friday and is having some baby teeth pulled at the same time, the vet said the tooth extraction would cost £11 and I was wondering if that is per tooth? My vets is petdoctors if that helps.

Oh and should I be expecting any after care costs such as antibiotics or painkillers for either the tooth extraction or the neuturing?

#1 LauraJane9, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. Anne Marie

Anne Marie PetForums Junior

Aw poor Sully,

Got no advice but i wanted to say i am sure he will need pain killers. Both of them sound pretty painful.

I am sure some good advice will come along soon. x

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I'd imagine the quote was for pulling them all; but why not give your vet surgery a ring tomorrow to clarify things? - they are the only ones that can give you an accurate answer.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I think vets differ quite a bit, mine often sends them home with antibiotic cover and a few days pain killers, usually they have an injection too at the time of the op or mine usually do. The baby teeth unlike the adult ones are not deep rooted so should come out easy enough I would have thought.
    Most of the cost usually is anaesthetic although they charge for neutering the actually performing the surgery costs are usually less, as she is being given a GA and will have all the other medication anyway, it could well be just in total, it shouldnt take long to extract the teeth.

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Rupert got a few days of painkillers after being neutered but the cost was included in the price of the neuter. I think whether or not they get given painkillers depends on the vet, some seem to send you home with some and others don't. Give your vet a call and find out in the morning :)

Spen also needs a baby tooth taking out. The vet keeps saying they'll do it when he's being neutered but as I have no plans to neuter any time soon I think I may have to find another vet.

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

May I ask how old is Sully, if she is having baby teeth out isn't she very young to be neutered, normally they should be mature before been done.

7. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

I am taking Abi to the vet tomorrow to see about her baby teeth. She has lost about 1 baby tooth and now looks like Dwayne Dibley! I don't know what removal will cost - My dog trainer expects it will be around £60-£80! Ouch! I daren't leave it though as I don't want her to end up with permanently splayed teeth. She is 7 1/2 months

[​IMG]

8. LauraJane9

Sully is 10 months, he was going to be neutered a few months ago but the vet said to postpone for a few months to give his teeth more time to maybe come out on their own.

9. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I would check. I've heard that can be the price per tooth. :eek:

10. thedogcabin

thedogcabin PetForums Member

One of my toy poodles had 3 baby canine teeth removed at a year old.it cost me £160!!!!!!!!

11. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Eek! :eek: :cryin:

12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry I called your boy a she.:blushing: :blush:

13. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

This seems to be quite a common problem but I have never heard of this before so I am a bit surprised. I don't remember any of my other dogs having a problem with teething either. When we picked Mylo up the breeder mentioned teeth because we were told that we had to make sure we didn't use tug toys on baby teeth as they can pull them too soon so the adult teeth don't drop into the right place. She also said to wiggle them when they were loose to help them out if the adult teeth are visible. Again to make sure the adult teeth drop into the right place. She never mentioned they might be retained though.
    I'm waffling because I really am shocked at how many of you have have experienced this ....and £160.00 :eek::eek::eek:

14. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Apparently it's quite common in toy breeds. :( They don't usually keep all of them though!

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Mac has 2 retained fangs at the top. I was quoted £50 to take them out. He is going on wednesday for something else and so is having the teeth done whilst he is there. His sister Micca has 1 retained tooth she will have that taken out when we get her spayed.

16. LauraJane9

Sully has six retained baby teeth, so that's £66 and then there is the neuturing at £110 and just recently he had a bad tummy so that was another £65 on antibiotics! My OH has a work friend who went to the PDSA and got antibiotics for £5! I know we are eligible for PDSA treatment, should I consider taking Sully there for his neuturing and teeth?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice