Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby Shower...Etiquette Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by northnsouth, Sep 26, 2013.

1. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I have been invited to a baby shower. I have never been to one and it is quite a new concept to me. They seem to be another American custom being adopted by young Mums/ Mums to be, nice but new to me :eek:
    So please can some one help. What is the etiquette...Do I buy a gift for the parents, for the baby, give vouchers or what?? I feel daft asking as it seems to be the done thing now. I do not want to turn up and feel embarassed...Thanks :eek: :eek:

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Generally you buy something for the baby. Cute outfit or blanket... I love those hoodie towels with the animal heads :D

Depends on if it's a first baby or not. Often for 2nd or more babies I give diapers or gift certificates to baby stores. We've also done a joint gift with several people for the more expensive stuff if the parents have requested certain items.

May be worth seeing if the parents have some requests in already?

3. SpotOn

SpotOn PetForums Senior

I didn't even know these so called "baby showers" exsisted until last year:eek:

Vouchers (£10-20 I would have thought reasonable) would be a great idea as a present. I know a lot of mum who receive the same gifts from different friends/family- half of it never gets used. As babies grow so fast maybe they can use the voucher to buy something as the baby grows...

4. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Absolutely no idea but thank your for asking the question. My son's girlfriend will have one so you have saved me asking!

Seen picks of celebs going to baby showers all dressed up - do us mere mortals have to?

5. northnsouth

Thanks.... I know close friends have clubbed together. I know she is a bit of a fan of Next.Vouchers from there maybe, then the parents could either buy for baby or treat themselves. OMG had not thought about what to wear!!

#5 northnsouth, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

I got given gifts at mine for the baby - not a lot, a few books to read to her, a rattle, a little money box and one or two items of clothes. I certainly did not expect to be given anything, as it was the shower was pretty spur of the moment. I was just happy to have the little get together.

7. northnsouth

That nice for you. Often impromptu get togethers are the best.

8. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

For the baby...
    I often buy a set of bath towels..
    essential ,but no worry with sizes;)...(and if you do not know what they are expecting..just buy neutral colours!)

I also love buying toys, often the first baby book, washable, fabric one...;)

(never too early to give a book!:D)

you may add something nice for mummy too...

9. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

a nappy cake :)

10. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I´ve organized two:D, there are games food, the venue is decorated with bab things or the colours of the baby sex. We bought presents for the baby, first set of plate and cutlery, cd with lulabbies...we had losts of fun.

11. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

you cannot eat nappies:confused:

plus..many mums prefer certain brands of nappiesand for good reasons..same with toiletries!
    nappy cakes often look cute..but are useless!

so toys from good manufacturers or bath towels, blankets etc..cutlery sets..
    buy what you can afford, better small but best quality!

12. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Is it alright to make things or is that not the done thing?

13. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

Absolutely! When my sis was expecting it was the handmade gifts that touched her the most... Blankets, cardigans etc. I'm making him a rattle for Xmas- and making her a ring that has bells on it to occupy him with when they're out (it'll jingle when she shakes her hand) :eek:

14. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

My daughter had a baby shower, her other half organised it as a surprise, got someone to do the buffet etc and then when everyone started to arrive he went out so my daughter had a lovely day with all the other mums, they all brought lots of lovely gifts for the baby.
    You should have a lovely time, I have never been to one but they sound good for new mums and mums to be. I would have loved one when I was having babies but they weren't around then.

15. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Either a gift voucher or if you do buy them something also give them a gift receipt. Most people buy newborn or 0-3 clothes and they grow so quickly you don't always get to use them. If they still have the tag on Next are good at allowing exchanges, but a gift receipt helps.

They usually open the presents there - well we did at mine anyway!

Don't worry too much about what to wear, all eyes are on mum-to-be. We also played lots of games so ask if you need to bring anything for those.

16. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

17. northnsouth

Well Thank you all very much.

I went with vouchers from Next plus a little lullaby musical pull toy for the crib and teething ring set..
    I will be in the grannie corner offering pearls of wisdom :ihih:

Doodlesrule...apparently hand knitted is very "in" at the moment.. But I do not have time for that, shower is Saturday.

#17 northnsouth, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  18. Cruella De Vil

What in gods name is a baby shower:confused: never heard of one!

19. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

There's this new fangled thing called Google on the interweb. Go there, type in "baby shower" and your bewilderment will be ended.
    Glad to be of service.

20. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice