Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby rabbits x

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Lemoney.Ellie, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Lemoney.Ellie

Lemoney.Ellie PetForums Newbie

Ok, so 6 days ok my bunny (Woopseydaisy) had 12 baby bunnies, she is a french lop. Unfortunatley 2 were stillborn, 2 only lived 30 mins. I was ok with this as I understood the sheer number of bunnies, not all could have the vitals.
    But 2 days later I looked into the nest and saw 8 very wrinkley bunnies. I did some tests on the to see if they were being fed eg. pinching the neck, looking at the belly ect and I had an on call vet come round as I couldnt tell. She told me bunnies werent being fe and gave me some directions as to what to do if they still hadnt been fed in the morning. Basically to hand rear them.
    I went to the shop and bought bunny bottles, goat milk and milk formula for small animals. The next morning around 630 am I checked on the rabbits, 3 were dead 2 has squashed heads from mum and one had died of starvation. I was going to take it into my own hands. I took out the dead ones without touching the others and buried them and continued to make and ready the milk. When I went back around 30mins later all the babies had been biten 3 more had died all of starvation. The mum had officailly rejected them. I took the remaining two inside to feed them one sucked it all up, they are the biggest of the litter, Bubby :) and the runt of the litter Tootsie wouldnt take much at all. and about 3 hours later died.

Now I am left with one rabbit, Bubby and they are 6 days old. I feed him every 3.5 hours help him go to the tiolet after and give him hourly tummy and bummy rubs to help stimulate growth and help digestion. But I was wondering if anyone could give me a timeline eg.

When do they hear?
    When do they open their eyes?
    When do I start putting solids in with them?
    When do they come out of the box?
    When can I sex them?
    ect all good questions.

Thank you. Would really like to know as normally I would leave the mum to her buinuess and just check every few days :)

Ta x

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hello, well i am sorry to hear that you lost so many babies, how very very sad,:( i dont know much about tiny babies, but i hope one of the breeders may be able to offer you some good advise, fingers crossed for the last little baby,:)

3. Lemoney.Ellie

[​IMG]

Click on it and it will take you to my pictures
    This is a pic at 3 days of bubby x
    Have a look through them all and you can see him grow :)

<3 :p

#3 Lemoney.Ellie, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  4. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

cant see it?:( so sorry about the other buns!!

5. Lemoney.Ellie

You can now just click it :) Have a look through others to see him grow :eek:

6. Lemoney.Ellie

[​IMG]
    Bubby bareing his teeth :)

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

good luck with the hand rearing, i had to bottle feed 3 babys but they were much older and had already started nibbling solids.

Have you tried mixing the mums soft poos in with the milk mine hated it but its meant to be good for them. also has ur vet given u any probiotics?

also i think they would only need feeding twice a day at this age but not sure?

I think their ears and eyes open some time after 7 days but depends on the bun. would be good to get it used to its name this young :)

good luck with it and i hope it grows to be a beautiful strong bunny.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice