Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby Rabbit Freakout!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Alexander Campbell, May 4, 2019.

1. Alexander Campbell

Alexander Campbell PetForums Newbie

So I've have 2 rabbits, both boys, who are around 3 months old. I've had them for 1 month. They have both seemed to settle in fine and seem fairly comfortable around me (will climb onto my lap when I hand feed them and they both love to binky around the carpet). All in all they both seem to be enjoying life.
    However, sometimes one of the rabbits (snowball) will have these random unexplained freakout. He will dart around the room looking scared out of his life and if he is in his cage will proper bump into the sides and look terrified bless him. It's happened three times so far and the most recent was this morning. I came downstairs as usual to feed them and tidy the cage and they both came running over happy to see their food and then seemingly out of nowhere he had a freakout stamping his feet and darting around. Meanwhile my other rabbit is oblivous to what is happening and acting completely normal. Whats strange is that after around half an hour snowball will calm down and act normal and friendly again.
    Does anybody have a clue to what could be going on or what could be triggering snowball? Should I see a vet? He seems healthy and eats and drinks well but i am still concerned and want to make sure it is nothing to worry about. And if it is something to worry about that I can do all i can to help him. :)

2. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Alexander Campbell: Are your two rabbits neutered? My neighbour has a couple (both boys) and she had them castrated at about four months. Could his behaviour be hormonal do you think?

3. Alexander Campbell

Alexander Campbell PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply. That's a good point actually no they are not neutered yet due to their age. It could possibly be something to do with that. That could explain the random behaviour.

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Maybe you should ring your vet and just ask the best age to neuter . . . I think two boys will fight if not castrated, and obviously one of each will produce a litter. Have they already been vaccinated?

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  5. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Buck rabbits, if housed together should ideally be neutered. They are rapidly developing into testosterone filled little demons, and undoubtedly, sparring and fighting will follow as they grow and develop. Speak to your vet about the best age, and after care.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice