Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

baby pigeon rescued

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by lil muppet, Jul 1, 2010.

1. lil muppet

lil muppet PetForums VIP

i have just found a town pidgion in town. its still at the squab stage and had been there 2 days but had not been fed at all and was really lifeless. i have mangaged to get some runny egg food into it via sringe and its looking alot perkier but does not like the idea of being force fed! i used to work at a wildlife rescue place so im not a compleate novice to this. if it still does not like the iea of being fed by tommorow i will be taking it to my local wildlife rescue place so they can look after it. i just could not leave it there to die or get kicked to death by some idiot child.

2. rona

rona Guest

I raised a wood pigeon when I was a child, once they start eating it's not normally a problem.
    Hope you succeed

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

You do have to kind of force feed pigeons unfortunately, but they get used to it. I hand reared one years ago, then helped my neighbour raise a young collared dove last year. We used egg food and when it was older, mixed in fine canary seed and a little fine grit.

Once it was feeding itself and had full plumage it went out into his aviary with his budgies (It had grown up with his pet budgies indoors) and a few weeks later decided to bid for freedom, flew out of the door when he opened it.

I'm sure you already know of this rescource, but for others who don't know about it:
    Hand-rearing of Orphaned Wildlife (with special reference to UK Wildlife)

I'm currently feeding an abandoned chaffinch fledgling which was brought into my friend's work (he's a vet nurse) and have found this site of great value once again.... I discovered it last year when looking for data about collared doves.

ETA: this is the page you want:
    http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformatio...niques/UKBHusbIndTech/HR_Av_Pigeons_Doves.htm

#3 MerlinsMum, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. lil muppet

lil muppet PetForums VIP

his name is now percy... not sure of sex tho lol. he is very healthy and now has full use of both legs! eats like crazy but is very tame. have tried releasing him but he wont have it so tried soft release and still wont have it! might just buy him a dove cot! (or pidgion flat as my bf calls them lol)

5. rona

rona Guest

Sounds as if you've got him for life or until a pigeon of the opposite sex comes along next spring ;)

6. MissStatik

MissStatik PetForums Newbie

Hello, I rescued a baby pigeon off of a train track. He didn't eat for a whole day and I thought I was going to lose him :(, he had an open wound on his chest and still had all his baby feathers. I took him home and force fed him wet soggy bread, fortunately it worked and he survived, I then cleaned up his wound and it cleared up lovely and healed. When he eventually grew a bit older he ate meal worms, little bird seed and still wet bread and sometimes liked to steal my chips :( hehe. I taught him to fly and tried to let him go but he kept turning back up at the house haha. I thought I did pretty well considering I don't know anything about birds lol xxx

7. lil muppet

lil muppet PetForums VIP

aw well done! its so satisfying to see them healthy and happy! percy is going tonight to a pigeon fancier where she will be with other pigeons and be a pigeon for the rest of her days!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice