Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby guppies!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Jason25, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I’ve woke up to about 20 baby guppies, I seen the guppies acting weird low to the ground, turns out they were chasing the babies eating them!!!!!

I’ve temporarily moved all adult guppies to a second tank. I got work this morning but will go to the pet shop when I finish to pick up some brine shrimp? Is there anything else I should get?

Pictures later, I’ll have to get the dslr out :D:Hilarious

magpie, Magic Waves and LinznMilly like this.
  2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll need newly hatched baby brine shrimp. Live daphnia might be small enough. Also black worms and banana worms. There's also a commercial food - Hikari First Bites that has good ratings on Amazon. Feed them 3-4 times a day, and remove any uneaten food after a few minutes.

Normal fishkeeping "rules" such as minimum tank sizes don't apply to fry. If this the 25ltr, you can reduce the water level by half. Doing so, will make it easier for the fry to find the food.

Baby fish are prone to Velvet. Add aquatic salt to their tank - slowly. 1 teaspoon per 5ltrs, raising to 2tsp:5ltrs on Day 2. That should kill the parasitic spores.

Congratulations. :D

Magic Waves and Jason25 like this.
  3. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

thanks I’m finishing work soon so will get straight to the fish shop and see what food they’ve got and pick up some salt :D
    Yeah they are in the 25l one I’ll remove some water when I’m back :) how do you remove the food btw? Lol

Magic Waves and LinznMilly like this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll need a gravel syphon. They're widely available commercially, or you can make one yourself with an empty drinks bottle and some tubing (something a bit wider than airline tubing ;) )

1. Cut the bottom off the bottle.
    2. Cut a hole in the lid just big enough for the tubing - you want a snug fit so that the tube isn't loose enough to detach from the bottle.
    3. Feed one end of the tube through the bottle top.
    4. Fasten bottle top to bottle.

And you have yourself a gravel syphon. :D

Magic Waves and Jason25 like this.
  5. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I’ve been to the pet shop and got a nursery net which you clip onto the top of the tank, after half hour with a little net ive got all the babies in there lol. All fish are back in the main tank now, but got them separated from the babies :D

food wise I’ve been told to use a drop of liquid food every 4 hours or so, also crush up flakes into dust and also got a pack of frozen brine shrimp blocks?

I’ve got a gravel filter too thanks :D

Magic Waves and LinznMilly like this.
  6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Liquifry works by encouraging the growth of infusoria - microscopic plants and animals that the fry feed on. But it will work. Frozen brine shrimp blocks will work for the adults, not so sure about the fry.

Crushing the flakes up really small can work, though. :)

Jason25 and Magic Waves like this.
  7. Magic Waves

Magic Waves PetForums Junior

@Jason25 congrats are in order :) never breed guppies i keep all male but Hikari foods are good as @LinznMilly mentioned.

Jason25 likes this.
  8. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

B75A4838-99AB-406D-8F73-34B378605487.jpeg 73A61D58-0224-4F28-95B5-50421EF198B6.jpeg

Sorry for the quality, not sure if you can see them lol I’ve got quite a few :D

it’s all been going on these last few days, bought 3 second hand tanks, so been cleaning them up. When I got round to clean ing the gravel it had baby snails in and some were still alive! I’ve set up a separate tank and popped them in there with an air filter and the spare filter from my other tank. I believe I got a few different colour ramshorn and mystery snails but they are small so it’s hard to tell what they are lol.
    I stopped last night but put some cucumber in with the old gravel from the tanks to try and get the rest of the snails out of it :D

yeah I don’t know why they suggested I feed the liquid food instead of live. I’m gonna go to a different fish shop later and see if they got this Hiraki stuff :)

also, what is going on with the price of tank ornaments lol, £30 for a space ship :confused::eek:

Magic Waves, DanWalkersmum and magpie like this.
  9. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Aw, so tiny! :D

Have you got any plans yet for what you're going to stock in the new tanks?

Magic Waves, LinznMilly and Jason25 like this.
  10. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

They are, but I swear every time i look at them they get bigger lol.

Okay so at the moment I’ve got 5 tanks which are 27l, 11l, 19l, 19l and 100l

the 27l is my main tank at the moment which has my plants, trumpet snails and guppies in.

the 11l has got rams horn snails and some other random snails which I fished out of the gravel from the second hand tanks (2 x 19l and 100l) I might add some plants to this but not sure yet

19l tanks, no idea really probably more snails and some shrimps and plants lol. Possibly baby guppies

100l again I don’t know yet but I seen something in the fish shop called a reed fish, or rope fish. This fish looks well weird and I would love 1 or 2 of them lol.

Any suggestions what to put in them would be great :D

by the way they are just empty tanks at the moment, any idea what size air sponge filter you’d use for it? Thanks :D

magpie and Magic Waves like this.
  11. Magic Waves

I can just make sure snails out so tiny bless but at least your achieving nice one :D don't mention the price of ornaments to me, just throwed roman statues in the bin not long back which in total with gravel nearly £100, algae collectors or what and then re-brought again :Hilarious

Regarding these all 4 tanks i've had they've had top filters as i like using bio rings, cotton media containing zeolite and carbon media and bio balls, i buy in bulk and do them myself works out cheaper.

Jason25 likes this.
  12. Magic Waves

Jason25 likes this.
  13. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

They are growing so fast, none have died either :D they are fed a mix of the liquid food and crumbled daphnia, they seem to love it lol

FEC12855-0471-4E4B-8DEA-2DA9DE632FAE.jpeg 4BB11EBC-0AB9-4FFC-A668-7001BEA0F24F.jpeg A635145C-EC33-49A5-B9F4-89B9C5563FF9.jpeg

Can’t wait to see what colours they are lol. I think another 2 maybe 3 guppies are carrying too :eek::Hilarious

LinznMilly and magpie like this.
  14. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Aw, a bit more visible now too!

Guppies will just breed & breed, you could easily fill up all your new tanks with them! :Hilarious

LinznMilly and Jason25 like this.
  15. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I hope so, I’ve got some real nice different colour guppies so I want to see what I can produce myself lol. I’ve got an all red male and an all blue female, would love to see what they make lol

LinznMilly and magpie like this.
  16. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

That'll be a cool project, I do love the variety of colours of guppies, it'll be interesting to see what you end up with!

Jason25 and LinznMilly like this.
  17. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I’ve realised I’m gonna need more tanks, just seen an advert for 7 x 88l tanks lol :D but yes I can’t wait to see what they look like lol

magpie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice