Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby Guinea Pigs

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by lollipop12, Nov 24, 2012.

1. lollipop12

lollipop12 PetForums Junior

Yesterday, my guinea pig Harvey (who we thought up until a few weeks ago was a boy) gave birth to four beautiful babies yesterday. I am so proud of her, they are all so cute and a good size too.

Attached Files:

2. poppicat

poppicat PetForums Junior

What beautiful babies. Do you have a "pair" of males? That turned out to be a male and female pair?
    When I was 14 I had 2 "Females" turned out I had one of each and ended up with 2 litters of babies. We didn't know she was pregnant until we had 2 babies and they mate hours after given birth so she was already pregnant when we found the babies. The first litter there was 2 girls and the second there was 4 babies but 2 were still born. The 2 that survived were 1 boy and 1 girl.
    You will need to sex the babies soon and if there are boys they will have to be separated from mum at 3 weeks as they can get her pregnant.
    Good luck with your new piggies.

3. lollipop12

No, we just had one, who we were told by the pet shop was a boy, after we had "him" for about six weeks we noticed that he was a slightly rounder shape and when we visited the vets they confirmed that she was actually a girl and already pregnant!

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

My daughter brought a baby guinea pig, knew it was a girl, but she must have been pregnant when she got her, and later produced one baby girl, so luckily after buying a bigger cage they happilly lived together, but as the OP said they can mate and get pregnant at around 3 weeks or so, so you will hae to be careful.

5. lollipop12

Yeah, I'm going to keep all the babies so the girls can stay with their mum and I have a separate cage for the male piggies. Do you have to take them to the vets to get them sexed or is it easy to do yourself?

6. poppicat

poppicat PetForums Junior

It is pretty easy to tell they sex you can do it yourself. Here is a video that might help.
    How to tell your Guinea Pig Gender. - YouTube

7. lollipop12

Thank you :)

8. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Oh they're gorgeous :001_wub:
    do you know what sex each of them are yet?

9. lollipop12

I think they're 3 girls and a boy

10. LouLatch

LouLatch PetForums VIP

Very cute! I love guineas they are so loveable! :) Unfortunatly i'm highy allergic to them so cant even have a culddle. :(

11. metame

metame PetForums VIP

i miss gpigs so much, they are beautiful!
    good luck sexing them, i find piggies the easiest to sex.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice