Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby Gecko handling

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by James Popadiuk, May 7, 2020.

1. James Popadiuk

James Popadiuk PetForums Newbie

Hi I've got a 12 week old leopard gecko and when I try to handle her she lifts her tail and sort of bends her back. So instead of handling I usually just put my hand in her viv. Is there anything else I can do to tame her better?

2. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum, James; sure someone with some experience will be along shortly.

3. Sobas

Sobas PetForums Newbie

Hi! I got a baby gecko back in february. I am no expert but I've had a lot of experience with baby lizards and taming them before. First things first, don't expect your gecko to like you immediately because it will take a few weeks before they adjust to your smell, the feel of your hands etc. Secondly, you can expect your gecko to try to run away from you.This is something that they will always do unless you prove them you are no danger, so, I personally picked up my gecko anyway so that they know any aggression they do make is ineffective against you (you must show that you are not scared because just like dogs they will pick up on this) and when you are handling her make sure you give her freedom to crawl around your hands and body (my geckos favourite place is in my hair now) so she can get used to all the different smells. Make sure when you are handling her it is later in the day. Geckos are crepuscular meaning they are most active during sunset hours. If you awake them during the middle of the day when they try to sleep, this will only stress them out. Try to make them more comfortable with food, just like with dogs you are almost rewarding them with a treat for good behaviour and if they know they are receiving food from you they will be less threatened. Remember to handle her every day for short periods of time (5mins) to begin with and once she is tame build this up to longer periods of time even allowing them to run around the house and explore different areas so this will spike their curiosity to want to explore and also make them feel more comfortable. Now, when you mention the tail movements, this is the time you need to put your gecko down and avoid touching or grabbing their tail at all costs. In the wild, say they were being hunted by a bird of prey, the gecko will wiggle their tail as a diversion. The bird would go for the part of the body that is moving the most in order to stop it from getting away, so as the bird goes for the tail, the gecko can then detach from its tail and run away. So likewise when you are handling her, if she wiggles her tail that means she is feeling threatened, and if your grab her tail she will simply detach it and run away. This will not harm your gecko at all and it is a natural thing to occur so do not worry too much as it will regrow if kept clean and a healthy diet is maintained. However, the gecko can associate you and your smell and handling with losing her tail so this may make her fear you moreso and make it harder to tame. So remember to place her down gently if stress builds up too much!
    I hope this has helped and i hope you succeed!!

Magic Waves likes this.
  4. Magic Waves

Magic Waves PetForums Junior

James i think @Sobas as covered quite a lot of issues i had a super hypo tangerine carrot tail gecko for 9yrs and i brought her at 6mths old as a male but soon did an ID on her for sure having to normals previous who was males.

She was wild also but i just kept picking her up naturally under the body and she used to relax when i stroked under her mouth but she wouldn't let no one else pick her up.

leopard gecko sexing_LI.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice