Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby Corn Snake Setup - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Madds, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Madds

Madds PetForums Newbie

Hi there!

I recently posted a thread regarding adopting my first snake - of which I finally took the plunge today!
    I picked up a baby corn from a local animal store. They provided some good advice - and sent me home with a small plastic 'lunch box' and a heating mat for the little guy. When I enquired about a thermostat, they claimed that they had none in stock, but did not see it as a necessity. I'm not so sure?

Right now, Crowley is set up in his original 'lunch box', with a coconut hide, bedding and water dish. I placed the heat mat under half of it to form a warm and cool side. I additionally bought a larger, plastic vivarium and additional bedding. However, when I brought him home, I noticed that a lot of condensation has formed in his tub. Is this normal? If not, how do I reduce it?

Also, does he need a thermostat at this stage? Part of me thinks he will do - I don't want him to cook, or freeze, after all! And can you recommend any? I can't really think of a place where the wire would fit in his current setup. Once he's more settled, I'm hoping to transfer him to the larger, better ventilated plastic tub - although that has small plastic feet, so will a heat mat work if placed beneath it, considering it will form a small gap?

Hoping some of you lovely people can offer me advice and help clear up any confusion!

2. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

The plastic tub you bought, I presume it's a faunarium?
    This would be better for him, and yes a thermostat is vital no matter what age they are. An unregulated heat mat under a plastic tub could melt it and cause a fire very easily.

The small feet raising the other enclosure up will be beneficial for the heat mat, as they need air flow over them to be safe.

As for recommending a thermostat, are you UK, US or elsewhere? If you're UK, I can recommend some brands, but if you're US/elsewhere I'm afraid I can't help there.

3. Madds

Madds PetForums Newbie

Hi! So sorry for the late reply! My email's notification alert have been a pain recently!
    Yes - the one I bought is a faunarium, but he is currently getting settled in to his new home with the tub he came in, which literally looks like a small plastic lunchbox with holes in the edges for ventilation. And I live in the UK. I believe it was you who offered me some really lovely advice when I sent through my manuscript of questions last time! :)
    For now, I have the heatmap on my bedside table, with half of it exposed to cool air to ensure it does not overheat while I sort out this thermostat issue! I was just a little confused as to where I would attach the wire to detect the heat, considering that I would not want the little guy to escape through any gaps or holes that the wire would need to be fed through.
    I also added a couple of small holes into his current tub with a penknife to help with the condensation - which seems to be doing the trick to an extent. It got so bad the first night, water was actually dripping from the lid! But otherwise, the little guy is doing really well, it seems!

4. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

You'd be better setting him up in the faunarium and leaving him 5-7 days to settle in before offering him food, otherwise you'll have him settled and then uproot him again(a new enclosure means a new settling in period) :) Thermostat recommendations- Habistat, Microclimate or Komodo are the top three for me. I use mostly Microclimate and Habistat, but I do have a couple of Komodo ones and I like them too.

As for the thermostat, the probe needs to go in through one of the pre-drilled holes in the lid of the faunarium(there could be anywhere from 1-4 in the corners of the lid), once the wire is in place the hole shouldn't be big enough for the little one to fit through. If you don't feel safe doing this, you can put the probe on the heat mat itself and have the digital thermometer probe inside the faunarium. This way the heat mat is regulated, and you can make sure the temperature is correct inside.

Until you can get a thermostat though, turn off the heat mat. As long as your house stays at a reasonable temperature, your little one will be fine for a few days at room temp as long as you don't feed him. It will be much safer for him than an unregulated heat mat, they can get ridiculously hot unfortunately :( A friend of mine accidentally left one of her heat mats unplugged from the thermostat, when she noticed about 30 minutes later she checked the temperature and it had risen to 53.2c and was still going up- Photo below of the incident.
    53.2c.jpg

5. Megan685

Megan685 PetForums Newbie

Does anyone no the colour my corn Snake is

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice