UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time bunny owner, hopefully you guys can help me figure out some odd behaviour of my 6 week old buck. I've had him for 3 days and last night he seemed to really like chilling with me on the couch. He flumped onto his side and his little eyes were all half closed, he seemed totally content. Tonight, however, when I brought him onto the couch, he was really restless. He kept trying to burrow, biting cushions and wouldn't settle at all. Then he started nipping me and headbutting me. I thought maybe he wanted strokes so I tried to stroke his head/face but he wasn't into it at all. Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Hello and welcome to bunnyland!!

Firstly, bunnies can behave differently at different times of day. They are what you call crepuscular, which means thay are most active at dusk and dawn. So it may be that your bun was at his liveliest time of day when he was butting/nipping; and it may be that it was his sleepy time when he nestled up to you.

However, I am very, very worried that you have a single baby bun that is only 6 weeks old, as your baby bun is far too young to have been properly weaned. And he is bound to be missing the company of his own kind.

Did you get him from a pet shop or a breeder? And was he still living with mum? If not, how long had he been away from mum? I doubt that he has been properly weaned. He should have living away from mum for a while before being sold, otherwise he is likely to have still been feeding form her.

I am wondering whether he is searching for food, ie mum's milk, when he butts and nips?

The person you got him from should have given you a supply of his current pellet food. Stick to that rigidly, and offer lots and lots of fresh hay every day. Don't give any greens or fresh for now.

Baby bunny tums are incredibly delicate, and they are very prone to problems at time of weaning, so don't rush to introduce new foods.

At this young age, some people would suggest feeding a milk substitute, but don't feed cows milk. Some feed goat's milk, but again, that can badly upset a bunny's tum.

I would wait for more advice from others - Bernie, Heidi/Hazyreality and others are our font of all knowledge.

Hopefully your buny is a tough cookie and will be OK - bunnies can be incredibly resilient, but I am sorry you have been sold such a young bunny. If he shows any sign of tummy upset - runny poo, tiny poo - get him to the vets asap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Summersky - thanks for being concerned anyway! My little Boo is very young, yes, and unfortunately I didn't realise he was too young. I have wondered also if he is butting and nipping looking for mummy food. I have some goat's milk and am getting some kitten milk today. I am going to mix them in a second water bottle for him and hopefully he will drink it. I'll keep you posted :)

G

·
If he is on the sofa or your lap when he is butting/nipping then it will most likely mean he wants to get down.
There are a few reasons why buns will nudge or nip but in the context the OP describes then I will hazard a guess at he wants you to move :p

Most rabbits aren't cuddly and are much happier to give affection on their terms.

It would be much better for you to bunny proof an area so that he can hop around on his own terms, if you just sit on the floor it won't be long before he is using you as a spring board :D

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Summersky - thanks for being concerned anyway! My little Boo is very young, yes, and unfortunately I didn't realise he was too young. I have wondered also if he is butting and nipping looking for mummy food. I have some goat's milk and am getting some kitten milk today. I am going to mix them in a second water bottle for him and hopefully he will drink it. I'll keep you posted :)
Erm guys...wasn't Boo the name of ninja's bunny??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking you're probably right that it's an "let me be free" nibble, rather than grooming or wanting to be petted. He did it this morning when I put my hand in the cage to stroke him - he pushes his face into my hand in a kinda desperate fashion, then starts nibbling. If I pull my hand slowly away, he tries to get it, going on his hind legs and trying to grab my hand with his little bunny hands - maybe this was "let me out"?

My bedroom is bunny proofed but the living room isn't yet, hence keeping him on the couch. I'll stick to my room with him until I've sorted out the lounge.

I was thinking the same thing....:rolleyes:
Have I chosen a name with some sort of community significance?

G

·
Erm guys...wasn't Boo the name of ninja's bunny??
I think that is just a coincidence tbh ;)

I'm thinking you're probably right that it's an "let me be free" nibble, rather than grooming or wanting to be petted. He did it this morning when I put my hand in the cage to stroke him - he pushes his face into my hand in a kinda desperate fashion, then starts nibbling. If I pull my hand slowly away, he tries to get it, going on his hind legs and trying to grab my hand with his little bunny hands - maybe this was "let me out"?

My bedroom is bunny proofed but the living room isn't yet, hence keeping him on the couch. I'll stick to my room with him until I've sorted out the lounge.

Have I chosen a name with some sort of community significance?
Don't worry about it, we had an interesting member here a little while ago that used to like to upset with their posts, you have named your bun with a similar name. Although theirs was called "Judge Boo".

For the record I don't think you're the same person :)

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Boo is a cute name - don't worry about it!

I wonder what the most common name and the weirdest name is for a bun?

I am guessing Thumper to be up there as one of the most popular - although we have no Thumpers here. And all things Watership Down, perhaps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.