Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby Bunny Help

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by pinkyblare, May 10, 2010.

1. pinkyblare

pinkyblare PetForums Junior

Hi all we purchased to dwarf lop bunnies a week ago he said they were 7 1/2 weeks (breeder) they seemed to settle in well all week loved being handled stroked, even lick us have a hop round house and kept in clean suitable hutch as recommended by lots sites, he gave me the food he was feeding (normal rabbit mix) said if i wanted to change to complete to mix bits in which was doing they were both eating and drinking and pooping until Friday black one (Toto) had messy sticky bum so i washed his bum removed mess and cleaned hutch out and used proper disinfectant suitable for hutches left it to dry for 15 mins then wiped down and left to dry before putting all new bedding in etc. saturday bunnies had little hop round lawn under supervision and we but them back sunday toto was not himself and didnt eat or drink all day only other thing i did diff was give them a mineral block as i wondered if they were lacking in salts as they kept licking our hands and lots of websites say to give them well was suprised to see him alive this morning after monitoring him all day yesterday took him vets first thing they dont know whats up he is lethargic not eating or drinking and is very weak i hope its not something i have done i am so scared to lose him my daughter will be devasted plus other bunny must be missing him (thanks for reading this far) just need some re-assurance as a new owner xx :(

2. frags

frags PetForums VIP

Has the breeder given him grass before? If not it could be that if he ate some grass while on the lawn it could have upset his tummy.
    Hope he is better soon x

3. Shamen

Shamen Guest

he could have eaten something new hes not use to eating, if i were you i would get him some pro biotic powder mix it with water and syringe it him, its excellent for rabbits with diarrhoea, i really hope he improves.

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

rabbit tums are super sensitive i would keep him well away from the grass and any other veg til he is at least 3 months old. and then gradually introduce little bits week by week.

Have they given him any worming medicine panacur? worms have been pretty bad so far this year.

If hes not eating and with the heat at the mo its really important to get loads of fluids into him, the vets can give him some under the skin did they do this? and it would also be worth feeding critical care which is like tiny bits of hay u mix with water. Too much rabbit food mix can cause the sticky poo alone its a careful balance of feeding enough when they are young and not giving so much they get runny poos form the high fat and protein content

5. pinkyblare

pinkyblare PetForums Junior

Thanks for replies so far they have managed to inject fluid around abdomen under skin as she said quickest way, gave shot of painkiller to kick start everything as everything seem to shut down internally when not eaten, also syringe feeding him he not any worse but keeping him in for constant care, eek dreading the bill but all i want is for him to be well and ok and be home with his sibling and my daughter will be gutted too, fingers crossed he pulls through, i will not let him go on lawn now till he least 3-4mths as you said and i have removed salt block incase that dehydrated him, vet says he is very skinny and tiny so slightest upset can knock him for six as he is so small, what food am i best giving him/keeping him on normal mix the breeder gave me when can i change to pellets of complete? thanks again all :confused::)

not mentioned worming though? should i get him wormed so early?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice