Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Baby Bunny Help Please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Karsie, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

hi guys

At work today my colleague came to me and asked for some advice....3 days ago ahe found a tiny baby rabbit at the side of the road at our work (we work up a farm track in the middle of nowhere!) It is a pure white baby with red eyes, tho it must have come from a wild rabbit family she said the little one looked like it had been out all night in the rain and didnt run away when she picked him up. She has taken it home and is hand rearing it. She lives on a small farm has lots of different animals and if the wee one makes it he will have the most perfect life there :D

However....

She thinks the wee guy is only about 4 weeks old and is asking how best to rear him....hence me asking you lot! She was feeding him adult musil and lettuce so i have told her to stop all veggies for now as he is so young and am taking in some of my baby rabbit nuggets tomorrow to give to her. She is going into the pet shop in the village today to get some hay and a small water bottle. Any suggestions on how to give this wee guy a chance?

She has him snuggled in an angora hat just now, he is hopping about and has pooed and pee'd. I have told her to make sure that his bum is clean and to watch for runny poo's but never having had such a small bun i thought i would come ask here as i know some of you are breaders and might have a few tips i could pass on.

Oh how do you sex buns? he is being called he but could well be a she.....:p

Thanks a lot guys, sorry for the long post!

2. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Lettuce is poisonous to rabbits, apart from that i can't help you as i have no experience of hand rearing. Sorry.

3. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Ideally I think the rabbit should have been left where it was as the mum was probably around to feed it.
    At 4 weeks old baby rabbits really need their mums milk as this helps them adjust to weaning onto a solid diet.This young they are prone to all sorts of digestive problems.
    As you now have the rabbit I would put him on a diet of alfalfa based pellets and alfalfa hay and no vegetables at all until he is 3 months old.
    You may find you will get loose stools to start with from the food change over.
    Ideally if you have other rabbits nearby you should collect some cecotropes(the droppings rabbits produce and eat which are packed with nutrients and are essential for rabbits health)and mix these in with the food to give the kit normal bacteria for its intestinal tract.

Hopefully at 4 weeks you may be ok and it will have a happy ending but in future if you see a baby rabbit it should be left where it is .

4. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

would an albino survive in the wild?

I know people with wild polecats who have been raised from kits, and the normal coloured ones have been released however the albino (no idea how that got in there) couldnt be released as it wouldnt of survived.

5. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

i know for a fact that this little one wouldnt have survived in the wild, where we work is based on a large farm and wild bunnies are shot on sight as they are harmfull to the farm.

Toddy its not me who has the bun (i have 2 of my own) but a lass i work with, i have to admit that i would propably have left it there and let nature take its course hoping its mum would have found it. Will pass onto Charlotte tho that names of foods, any ideas where they can be bought?

6. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Karsie I wasn't judging more really just pointing it out for others really.
    Pamperedpets I know for a fact we have a wild colony of black and albino rabbits near us which are surviving well in the wild.
    Anyway if this little mite was on a farm ?I undersatnd how much damage they can do to crops so i do understand.

You should be able to get the alfalfa pellets from any good feed merchant it is not anything unusual.Hope that helps:D

7. frags

frags PetForums VIP

hope the littlen survives x

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

At 4 weeks he should be fine on bunny food any will be ok just make sure it always has plenty and dont change them too quick.

You could give it fresh goat or kitten powdered milk but if its 4 weeks old then this is the age in the wild he would be eating grass etc because his mum would be about to pop another litter out and he would be kicked out. as a wild bun he will be used to grass so even tho you wouldn't give it to a pet rabbit i think a good handfull at least would be beneficial in addition to dried pellets, it would've been eating bits of grass etc from 2 week when they get active. but keep an eye out for runny poops.

Also you could ask a vet for good bunny bacteria which they sometimes give when bunnies are on antibiotics.
    hope this helps

9. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

:)Hope the lil buns ok!!

10. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

hi guys thanks for all the tips, so far so good with the wee guy :D

Spoke to Charlotte again today about him, she checked his bum like i said and he has wet tail :( she is cleaning him as often as she can any other tips on how to get rid of this? She got him some hay and he is munching on that and i gave her some baby pellets today for him to. She said he is quite active, very fluffy and as cute as a button!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice