Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

babies and dogs??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by blade100, May 20, 2010.

1. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

right i need some info regarding human babies and dogs.

i'm not pregnant but have ben thinking about having a baby just recently.i'm 26 yrs old been with my fella 9 years getting wed nxt year and have a beautiful 5 yr male german shepherd.

we have had blade from 6 weeks old he is my big baby in a furrie suit,he is involved in everything always has.
    and could never see us not being without him.

now the thing that concerns me is IF i was to have a baby would the baby become allergic to the dander in blades fur(is something also to do with there saliva i think when they lick there fur and it drys then flakes off and that is the problem)

both myself and jamie aren't allergic to anything neither are my folks.

and i would never ever ever at all rehome blade as this is totally out of the question and there fore if there is a chance that the baby would have allergic issues and am not prepared to have one!
    harsh i know but i love my boy so much and you see so many ads with dogs having to be rehomed cuz of the newborn baby.

so what i'm asking is how many of you have had babys and not had a problem with dog fur?

also blade would not get shoved out i would involve him in the supervised interaction with the baby as keeping a dog out of the way can lead to jealousy and behaviour issues and i don't want that.

many thanks
    amy:)

2. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

don't know much on it, but my friend became allergic to her dog during pregnancy but she stuck thru and after it just went back to normals.

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Research would suggest that children bought up with dogs have less allergies than those bought up without them

4. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

oh right i see thats good then,anyone else?

5. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

i would of thought that as long as you use a hepa or something like that filter hoover and keep on top of hair and dust ect ect it wouldn't be a problem...

and you can always buy one of those air filter thingies to help?

6. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

what are they then?
    i have to hoover up everyday anyhow sometimes twice with blade long coat even though he gets raked out twice a week!
    i have a dc14 hepa filtered hoover.
    thanks for your help x

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

well my son has all sorts of allergies, but not one to any of the pets! He has been brought up with animals from the day he came home from hospital.

There is always going to be a chance that your baby would develop an allergy, just as there is a chance that YOU could develop an allergy to your dog. There is no guarentees i'm afraid.

However most allergies are mild and could be managed with general cleanliness, routines and certain products to help remove the dander/saliver from your dog.

Its a good question for you to ask but its not one anyone can answer, nobody can tell the future. Any one of us might get ill and need a transplant, and in those cases all of our pets would need rehomhing, never say never... its tempting fate.

1 person likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice