Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

B*gga!

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by Sleeping_Lion, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Well, we've got our second ND/NH tomorrow, training has been going really well, up until tonight! She's due in season early October, and I think her head has gone into shed mode, but we'll see.

2. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Hope it goes well :)

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It will go well, whether we get placed or not is another matter. She doesn't lack in style or drive, but sometimes the basics seem to get left at the door on the way out!

4. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Will look out for update

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Just as I expected, her head exploded, and I chose to withdraw her, as she was not going to even learn anything from the experience.

Never mind, there's always next time!

6. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

That's a shame but as you say there is always next time!

What do you mean by her head exploded...was it excitement?

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

She's very *hot* and the sight of the dummy and sound of gunshot sent her over the edge today, even though she hears these things during training. When she can keep a lid on the excitement levels she's very good, but if it bubbles over, then she's very bad, it's a fine line!!

8. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I totally feel your pain. One of the hardest things is trying to keep Flynn in a calm enough state for him to show his skills, otherwise he tips himself over the edge and ends up being wreckless and deaf.

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It's so frustrating, because when she's good, she's astounding, but I do feel my handling skills let her down. But then again, we have such a good relationship, I can't blame her for going headless occasionally, particularly when she's due in season. We'll just work on it, and hopefully, we'll both step up to the mark next time out. For now, as she's due in early October, I'll be keeping things light, concentrating on the basics with no really, really exciting training, ie retrieves, particularly retrieves involving dummy launchers, the sound of shot, and water retrieves!!

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

How very true....:D It doesn't matter what 'sport' you compete in either.

Twiggy was crazy competing in obedience tests, particularly heelwork, retrieve and scent. She'd be coming back with the retrieve article virtually before I sent her (if you know what I mean).....LOL

Agility - I gave up trying to control her. If she listened we'd be in the first three, if she didn't we'd be eliminated.

Happy days - she was a fantastic bitch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice