Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Awaiting Killifish eggs (sad update)

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by LinznMilly, May 25, 2020.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been thinking about what direction to take my fishkeeping hobby in next for a while and started to look into Killifish. Apparently it's recommended to have at least 2 years experience behind you before venturing into the rather niche market of killis . . Well, I have 13 years, so . . . Check.

Next followed more decisions on species, tank size, eggs or adults.

On Saturday, I bit the bullet and ordered 30 eggs of A. Australe.

Haven't got the tank yet, but will be ordering that this week. I'm leaning towards a 54ltr because I don't have space for another 100-200ltr. Eggs will go into a rearing tank for now, so I have time to set their destination tank up before they're transferred. I'll be getting a sponge filter and another heater, too.

I'm stupidly excited. :D :Woot

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Oh, that is exciting! I googled the type you are getting, they are so pretty :)

I don't know anything about killifish, I take it they like to be in a group if you're getting 30 eggs?! I can't wait to see your updates on them when they arrive!

LinznMilly likes this.
  3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, they like company, but their social habits are more similar to livebearers than shoalers. Many keepers do seem to get them as spawn and grow them on, keeping them in species tanks, especially as a lot of Killifish are annuals, so their whole life cycle is complete in just 1 year.

A. Australe (or the lyretail Killi) is one of the longer lived species and average life expectancy is 2-3 years.

All of this started as an actual dream in which the 200ltr was home to Killifish and Apistogramma. :Jawdrop

Jason25 and magpie like this.
  4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Had to look this fish up as had no idea what you were talking about and they are bee-uitiful.

Good Luck and have fun :)

Jason25 and LinznMilly like this.
  5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks. And I'm sure I will.

I'll be keeping this updated as another journal thread :)

Jason25 and ForestWomble like this.
  6. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Wow, please do keep us updated with this. I am excited for you, this sounds so cool.

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

wish my dreams were so peaceful and satisfying at the moment, rather than frightening and going in circles

had a neighbour come knocking yesterday asking for advoce on what he could put in a tank that has a shoal of malawi cichlids happy, settled, and breeding, as they were 'boring now':Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

I was very plesed with myself, that i didnt actually say what was going through my head
    but i think he got the message anyway ( we spoke through a window, me upstairs him down, before anyone thinks i broke any 'regulations')

Im very jealous about the killis, they are so lovely, especially the lyre tails
    are you going to keep them in a dark swampy tank, with floating plants to stop their joy of jumping ( and landing on the light ledge :rolleyes:) and diffuse the light, or, do you have one of those tanks with a flat lid and outside lamp that can dim?
    please keep us upto date in how its going, Im totally fascinated

Jason25 and LinznMilly like this.
  8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Not all of my dreams are that peaceful, so you have my sympathy there.

"Yeah, sell the tank and the fish and get an aquarium screen saver for your computer/laptop/portable computer device thingy and never get any living creature again." :Muted :Banghead :mad: There you go - I said it for you. :D

As for the tank set-up, it'll be heavily planted, including with floating plants, and I'll be getting a sheet of glass or perspex to stop them from jumping, with a clip on light. I already use almond leaves and Alder cones in my other tanks, so this will be no different. :)

I suspect these are going to be PF's fish, not just mine. :D. I'll keep you all updated.

ForestWomble, Jason25, magpie and 2 others like this.
  9. George Duke-Cohan

Love that. Can't wait to see these fish grow up. What kind of sponge filter you going for? Also air pump recommendations, I am in need of a more powerful one so it would be nice to know which one you would be so kindly to recommend.

10. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I have a Hidom 6w air pump which powers my 4 foot long air curtain, so that's pretty powerful.

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a Hidom air pump that may have been discontinued as I can't find it anymore. :Bag It was quite cheap, IIRC. A similar model to mine is the Hidom 602 - 2w, 2ltrs per minute.

The sponge filter will probably be an Aqua One filter.

Jason25 and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  12. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Seeing as I'm like a kid at Christmas atm, I've been researching A. Australe a bit more, especially the bit about raising the fry. Glad I did. I've just saved myself quite a bit of money. :Shamefullyembarrased

For starters, I won't need that sponge filter until the fry are about 6 weeks old. This is due to the fact that, at first, their water level is about 2-3, inches, and one article I read mentioned raising them in a margarine/1ltr ice cream tub until they're about 4 weeks old, when they're moved to their own tank. Daily water changes keep toxin levels down, and being fry, their bioload is minimal until then.

They're also more temperate than tropical fish. Although they can tolerate temps of up to 30°C, for longevity, it's recommended to keep them at 22-23°.

Steep learning curve, then, and I haven't even got them yet. :D

Jason25, magpie and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  13. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

That's interesting about the temp, that's almost room temperature (in my house anyway, my tank is usually 20-21C).

Do you know what kind of survival rate you'll get with the eggs?

LinznMilly likes this.
  14. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

No idea, but based on previous experience with other fish, I'll be amazed if I can raise more than 10 to adulthood (and that's being generous). Maybe there'll be some information coming with them. :)

In the meantime, I have my rearing "tank" (a 3ltr food container :D ) and some Liquifry.

15. George Duke-Cohan

I can't wait to see them. It will be so cute to see them as eggs. What are you going to feed the fry when they hatch?

LinznMilly likes this.
  16. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Fishy baby milk. :D. Aka Liquifry. :p

Also newly hatched brine shrimp, as apparently they're big enough. :)

17. George Duke-Cohan

Baby fish milk.

18. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Tank ordered.

In the end I went for a 53ltr tall - 18×12×15" (LxWxH).

No sign of the eggs yet, but they're coming from Malta, and tracking shows that they're in the country, so I suspect they're being held at Customs. Presumably due to the virus.

Also ordered some Artemis eggs.

#18 LinznMilly, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  19. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Eggs arriving today. :Woot

ForestWomble and magpie like this.
  20. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Eeek! Well I'm not going to quote the picture rule back to you, you know what you have to do!

LinznMilly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice