Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Avoiding puppy farms

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by brackenhwv, Mar 31, 2011.

1. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

i i posted a we while back about my friend looking for a pup and was thinking labradoodle but has now decided against one. She is concerned though about the possiblity of getting a puppy that would have come from a puppy farm. I've gone through with her what to watch for. it occured to me that how to we fined out about liscensed breeders in Scotland ? Are there puppy farms up here ? I would think so but haven't heard of any obvious ones.I s there anyone who would know who they are ?

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Recommend your friend only buys from breeders via the Breed Club and you won't have to worry about puppy farms, which are everywhere unfortunately.

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

They are never obvious and they are everywhere. Is she looking for a pedigree? If so she can have a look on champdogs.co.uk. Any puppies advertised on there have their full pedigree on display and she should look at the ancestors, try to look them up, see if there are any champions in there. An honest breeder will have the mother with the puppies. They may not have the father, but they should be able to supply photographs of him. They will also have the puppies in the house, together with the mother. Puppy farmers usually have their puppies in kennels. They might tell you that it is their only litter, but do not believe them. They will also not be kc registered and no health checks will have been done. It would help to know what breed your friend is looking for.

Puppy farmers will very often want to meet you half way to deliver the puppy and are sometimes reluctant to let you come and see them in their home. I am sure others will be able to think of something else.

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Do remember that puppy farmers will sell on to dealers, who will pose as private breeders, so yes, ensure mums are always seen WITH pups. KC registration means nothing much, but if your friend call Breed Club and asks for their members with pups for sale, she has a good chance of getting a great puppy :)

5. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

They may be KC registered and the breeder may even have KC accredited breeder status.

6. Do labradoodles come with KC papers?:confused:

7. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Most puppies in pet shops/garden centres etc are puppy farmed so I wouldn't ever buy one from there.
    The advice to speak to the breed clubs is very good but I would also speak to the breed rescue people. Not because you want a rescue but they often know the lines of the dogs that they get in to rescues and can tell you who to avoid sometimes. If you find a breeder that you have any doubts about you can ask them.

8. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I am sure that there are breeders out there that would tell the uninformed they do......those are the ones you avoid.....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

It is not likely that a puppy farmer would have kc registered pups unless the bitch is newly acquired. The Kennel Club only allow six litters from the same bitch, which is going down to 4. Puppy farmers usually breed their bitches far more than that.

If we are talking about a cross breed, that is a different matter altogether. The OP said her/his friend had changed her mind about a labradoodle

10. I did think that they were not KC registered breed but I was a bit confused about the talk of KC papers.:blink:

11. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

Thanks for advice guys, she isn't rushing in to getting a pup, there is hubby and 3 kids also in the choice of dogs, so anything that is suggested she is having a good look at, researching on net and asking friends about things so they get the right dog. By the time she gets one shell be very informed about dogs anyway !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice