UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, we have three setters that are eight months old. They are house trained and are clean during the day. However, at night we just cannot get them clean.
They have their last feed at about 4.30/5 and are taken out regularly during the evening then are let out for the last time at about 10.30 and we make sure that they all do what dogs need to do.

I wake up at about 4am (for work) and go down to let them out and there are always little 'presents' left for me of both kinds. Mostly in different places around the room, and not always in the same place (they don't discriminate apparently). When they were younger we left towels by the door (they shred newspaper or any kind of puppy pad and they are too big to use anything like a tray) when we were toilet training them. We have tried leaving towels down and not leaving towels down and they still go just anywhere.

I would've thought by 8 months they would be able to hold it overnight. Of course it is made rather trickier by the fact we have three of them! Consequently we don't know who's doing it and how many of them are doing it.

All mess is, obviously, cleared up and floors thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and all scent is banished (floor is tiled and steam cleaned daily).

We are starting to think it maybe separation anxiety although they never cry or bark during the night etc.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

(No medical conditions, all healthy and exercised regularly)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi everyone, we have three setters that are eight months old. They are house trained and are clean during the day. However, at night we just cannot get them clean.
They have their last feed at about 4.30/5 and are taken out regularly during the evening then are let out for the last time at about 10.30 and we make sure that they all do what dogs need to do.

I wake up at about 4am (for work) and go down to let them out and there are always little 'presents' left for me of both kinds. Mostly in different places around the room, and not always in the same place (they don't discriminate apparently). When they were younger we left towels by the door (they shred newspaper or any kind of puppy pad and they are too big to use anything like a tray) when we were toilet training them. We have tried leaving towels down and not leaving towels down and they still go just anywhere.

I would've thought by 8 months they would be able to hold it overnight. Of course it is made rather trickier by the fact we have three of them! Consequently we don't know who's doing it and how many of them are doing it.

All mess is, obviously, cleared up and floors thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and all scent is banished (floor is tiled and steam cleaned daily).

We are starting to think it maybe separation anxiety although they never cry or bark during the night etc.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

(No medical conditions, all healthy and exercised regularly)
At 8 months they should be able to go through the night unless there is medical reasons and I understand thats been ruled out so unlikely. Also if last toilet is 10.30pm and you go down at 5 pm latest to let them out thats only 6 1/2 hours maximum so not even excessive really time wise.

Which just leaves behavioural really. The only thing I can think of if you used to leave paper or towels down in the night (even though you have tried leaving them and not now) is that these orginally acted as a cue that during the night indoors was acceptable, if its something they have always done, therefore dont know any different and have always just been left through the night thats why they might be doing it because to them its normal.

I would personally try first, setting an alarm a couple of times if they are not within sight and sound of you or dont let you know anyway, and take them out in a crash course in night toilet training. No bright lights on, no fuss just let them out, no interaction, then if they perform, quiet praise a couple of treats to re-enforce it and then back to bed. (bright lights and interaction can stimlate them wide awake) By constantly being taken out for a week or two and having it re-enforced with the praise and treats, it could well get through that its the correct place and break the habit. You could then go down to once out and then finally try them going right through once there is no accidents with the night time training. I deffinately wouldnt be loeaving paper pads or towels during the time either, Just consistently taking them out an re-enforcing it.
See how that goes first.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Just another thought what are they fed on is it just dry kibble? If so certain types are full of fillers and bulking agents of no particular nutritional value and the bulkers and fillers just produce more waste hence more poos and more frequent. Also certain types of dry can make them drink more as they absorb lots of water making them more thirsty, leading to more urination. So diet can perhaps be playing a part.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Three at 8 months :eek: you're a glutton for punishment, did you breed them yourself or rescue/buy them?

I had issues with my pup for a while, but having bred her, I think she had just become accustomed to going to the toilet in the room where she sleeps, she's hopefully abou there now, just the occasional slip up. I would imagine if they're got used to using a room as a toilet, it will constantly smell like a toilet to them, and there will be very little you can do to stop them if left to roam free. I would definitely consider crating them overnight, my pup hasn't had overnight accidents for quite some time, and I put that down to crating her with one of the others on a night time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply.

They have tinned food with dry mixer and milk with wheatabix for breakfast (they eat better than I do! lol)

I think I'm going to have to give the night time crash course a go (can't wait). How often would you suggest I took them out? every hour? every 2 hours? I'm on annual leave at the moment so now is prime time, may even be able to fit in an afternoon nap! :)

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Have you tried crating them? Usually works a treat. They'll need a crate each. Could you borrow crates for them?

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Three at 8 months :eek: you're a glutton for punishment, did you breed them yourself or rescue/buy them?

I had issues with my pup for a while, but having bred her, I think she had just become accustomed to going to the toilet in the room where she sleeps, she's hopefully abou there now, just the occasional slip up. I would imagine if they're got used to using a room as a toilet, it will constantly smell like a toilet to them, and there will be very little you can do to stop them if left to roam free. I would definitely consider crating them overnight, my pup hasn't had overnight accidents for quite some time, and I put that down to crating her with one of the others on a night time.
Hehe, I know. My brothers dog had an 'accidental' litter, he had 3 left and, of course, we fell in love.

I had considered crating them overnight but they're just too big now and we don't have the room for individual ones unfortunately (which is what they'd need I think). I may start looking for one uber crate though and see if we can squeeze it in.

However, talking of crates I was considering maybe cordoning off the area where their beds are to reduce the area in the hope this will put them off or may even try them in a smaller room at night? Do you think that may work?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

They have tinned food with dry mixer and milk with wheatabix for breakfast (they eat better than I do! lol)

I think I'm going to have to give the night time crash course a go (can't wait). How often would you suggest I took them out? every hour? every 2 hours? I'm on annual leave at the moment so now is prime time, may even be able to fit in an afternoon nap! :)
As on average from bed time to the usual time you let them out I think it worked out to about 6 1/2 hours in total maximum. You could try just letting them out once half way through for a night or two, and depending if they have another accident and when they have it then maybe up it too twice for a few days if need be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.